MIDI Keyboard

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/14/2006 12:48 pm
I'm getting sick and tired of "drawing" out each note when using midi for stuff like bass lines, drums, and various other things. So, I think it's time I got a midi keyboard to make things a bit easier. I don't want anything very complicated, just something pretty basic. I don't need a lot of features. I would like at least a 49 key with pitch and modulation wheels, and being able to shift octaves, and preferable under $200 USD. A 61 key would be nice, but anymore than that would be a bit too big. Plus, I don't play the piano near as much as I used to, and probably won't use it for that too much, so 49 keys should be enough. I'll be using it with things such as Battery, Sampletank, and a few other various plugins. It doesn't have to be USB compatable, but it would be nice if it could be by either MIDI or USB, but again, only MIDI connection is necessary. Any suggestions?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2006 3:23 pm
If you're going with a MIDI input, the Roland PC-200 (or whatever the present day equivalant is) is a decent 49 key controller.

For USB inputs, the M-Audio lineup is the one to go with.

I mostly use guitar synth, but for stuff like long sustaining strings I use a PC-200. Nice and small with just the right amount of 'stuff' on it.
I bought mine used off eBay for about $100 U.S.

I haven't used M-Audio keyboards, but have heard good things about them in reviews.

Just a personal observation, but I wouldn't get too swayed by all the bells and whistles on some of them, like midi mixers built in etc..
They're handy if you really need to be 'hands on' with the mixing board for a small number of tracks. But if you're mixing any more than 6 tracks at a time, they're useless.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/14/2006 3:38 pm
That roland looks ok, but since I will be using it for some piano/synth stuff as well, I would like for it to have velocity sensitive, full sized keys. A big plus if they're weighted or even semi weighted. I would also prefer a mod and pitch wheel rather than a "joystick" type controller for those functions. I could care less about being able to use it as a control station like a mixer. I just want it for recording and arranging virtual instruments.

Also, any tips on using Sampletank to it's full potential, and/or any other similar vst's?

One more thing I'm not clear on... Since I've never used a midi keyboard, do you just arm the midi track, hit record, and play what you want recorded? Will it automatically "draw" out the notes in a "piano roll view" by doing this?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2006 6:58 pm
In Cubase, you have a plug-in folder filled with VST synths and Effects.
You basically use a pull down menu to select which synth you're going to use.
Start a new midi track and set it's output to whatever synth you're using.
Then you play, it records the notes and velocities for you. Once you're finished you can use either the piano roll or score windows to edit the notes any way you want. Once you've got it sounding exactly the way you want, you export the MIDI track to an Audio track. (this turns the midi into an .aiff or .wav file)

Only thing you have to be aware of is latency. Check the specs on your sound card and get one as low as possible or you'll have a slight delay from when you press a key to when you hear the sound.

If ya have High Bandwidth, I've done a couple of tutorials on this subject, like this one...

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7452&s_id=58

Right from starting with a drum loop/drum machine, adding the bass, punching it up with compression and amp simulation, adding keys, then adding guitar etc.. with all the mp3's and pics included.

Sampletank is easy. Just call up whatever instrument you want and play the midi file into it. You can do a movie score if ya want, just playing a couple of notes then exporting the midi file into a bunch of different instruments on SampleTank.
This one took me about 1/2 an hour just using drum loops, SampleTank and a couple of guitar tracks....all I did was play an A note, then exported to a bunch of different instruments picked at random.
Didn't listen to the finished song till I'd exported about 40 different things like tubas, sax, piano, bass, overdrive guitar.. then turned it up and it came out like this...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/SchmangeOnline/MP3Demos/DarkBattle007Demo.mp3
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.