Soloing help

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/13/2006 11:12 pm
Ok. So I come up with some decent riffs and piece together a song. Then It comes time to add a solo. I've got all these modes and whatnot, and have no idea where to start. Basically my question(s) is/are, how do you figure out what mode or whatever you can use to solo with, and more importantly, how do you, if possible, take that mode and move it into different positions on the fretboard? I've seen it in many solos i've learned or heard, and after studying every bit of info i have, I still can't get it. If it helps, lets say the riffs are built around a blues scale starting at the 3rd fret. I hope this makes some sense. Thanks.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/19/2006 12:16 am
No one???????......Ok, I guess I'll struggle through it myself.

SoundClick Page

# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/19/2006 11:05 pm
havent got much time to explain at the moment, but i will tomorrow.

can i just ask how much you want to know, cos you could like want all music theory explained or just the ruidiments.

and how much do you know, is it just scales or can you aply any of them?

also you would get a lot more replies in the theory section of the sight.

anyway i'll get back to you in the mornin
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/21/2006 5:08 pm
all u need to look for is the root note of a riff...i do this by feeling thru the fretboard and play a little scale to see if it matches...and then i mess arnd with it for a bit...then istart exploring more by moving up the frets and probably end up using a different scale..i mostly use pentatonic...the example u gave woudl probably refer to G root note...im not really a theory person i cud be wrong i jsut do it thru feel really...hopefully the other guys would come help...hope this helps tho
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/21/2006 10:11 pm
i'll try to explain this briefly.

firstly all the modes can be constructed by taking the ionian mode (the basic majour one), by taking a different starting note.

secondly if you take the first 3rd 5th notes of the ionioon mode you get the first chord in ionion.
if you take the second 4th and 6th notes in the ionioin mode you get the second chord in the ionion scale.
if you take the third 5th and seventh note in the ionion mode you get the third chord of the scale
if you take the fourth 6th 8th/1st note of the ionion mode you get the 6th chord of the ionion scale

etc etc

so all the notes in the chords must be in the scale you are using, unless you are playing jazz or blues or there is a key change.

so if you want a fool proof method look for all the notes in the chords and find if they fit into the ionion scale at some point on the neck. then listen to the rythm part and try to see if you can work out what the root chord is. try to do this by ear, it will normally be the starting or ending chord of a bar, itis the chord that sounds settled on. by knowing this you will be able to see what mode you should be using.
# 5
cdm442
cdm442
07/05/2007 4:36 pm
if u need a good blues riff or intro to a solo try this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-h7---------------------------------------------------------------------------5-6h-7---------------------------------------------------------------------------5-6-7---------------------------------------------------------------------------5-6-7-8---------------------------------------------

Try this at diffrent speeds i use it as a guitar break not a solo
sorry my computer messed up start with 5 h7 then go to 5 6h 7 and so on so on u can make it a string lower to thats what i do
I'm complicated, I get frustrated, right or wrong, love or hate it,I'm complicated, you can't sedate it, I've heard that song, but i won't play it, I'm complicated.-Bon Jovi
# 6
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/05/2007 6:36 pm
Haha... great post... kinda, but if I may direct you to the date of the original post, which if you didn't notice was about a year ago. :D

SoundClick Page

# 7
RandyEllefson
RandyEllefson
07/30/2007 1:04 am
Worrying about modes is probably not too smart for your first solo because it will just distract you. If the chords change slowly, just try outlining them in the lead.

So if the first chord is e minor, hover around e, b, and g, and when the chord changes to something else, follow it's notes as well. You'd be surprised how well this works.
Like riffs? Melody? Shred? Free mp3s? Acoustic guitars galore? Download tunes from my new acoustic album, classical guitar album, or hard rock albums at www.randyellefson.com
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.