View post (what's the problem?)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/06/2006 9:11 pm
Here Goes. :o

Here are 7 settings I stumbled across that I use for my Daddy-O that seem to work well and can create the same "sound" when used as amp settings( I have one of them I use as a "base" for all my amps). They cover some basic sounds/tones to at least provide a [U]foundation[/U] for you to experiment and eventually adjust to your preferences.

I will use the "clock method" to describe the settings.

60's Brit

Bass-- full/ 5 o'clock
Mid-- 3/4 3 o'clock
Treb--3/4 3 o'clock
OD/Gian (optional) Less than 1/2 11 o'clock

Rock Lead

Bass-- 1 o'clock (less than 1/2){you get the picture I wiil not post anymore}
Mid-- 1 o'clock
Treb-- 9 o'clock
OD/Gain (optional) full 5 o'clock

Texas Blues

Bass--3 o'clock
Mid-- 12 o'clock
Treb-- 11 o'clock
OD/Gain (optional) 12 o'clock

Mellow Jazz

Bass-- 1 o'clock
Mid-- 9 o'clock
Treb-- 12 o'clock
OD/Gain (optional) 9 o'clock

Country Twang

Bass-- 9 o'clock
Mid-- 5 o'clock
Treb-- 5 o'clock
OD/Gain (optional) 11 o'clock

Rock Crunch (scooped Mid)

Bass-- 12 o'clock
Mid-- 9 o'clock
Treb-- 12 o'clock
OD-- FUll BAYBEEE!!!!

T.C.O.B. (taking care of bussiness)

Bass--10 o'clock
Mid--12 o'clock
Treb--1 o'clock
OD/Gain (optional) 11 o'clock

Now. Down to the fine "tuning" or should I say "toning" :rolleyes:

These are suggestions, but each has a different "feel" to the tone. It can bring you closer to a certain genre and hopfully help you "dial" in your tone.

Adjust the knobs on your amp either dead on or as close too as possible for each suggested settings

** I suggest you record each different setting and listen to them later to decide which you like best before you do any tweaking. "Listen with fresh ears"--posted somewhere**

While playing in a certain setting and you feel you must adjust a knob on your amp please take note--

When you adjust/tweak the knobs on your amp in a "particular setting" DO NOT over compensate. If you move MORE than 1 1/2 number left or right you are adjusting too much.

The finer adjustments need to be done with your tone knob/knobs on your guitar.

I can get a bright single coil sound on a bridge humbucker with the tone knob alone, on Gibson, and a flick of the selector switch. I feel alot of guitarists do not really utilize their pickup "switches" and tone knobs enough (IMO) they rely too much on the amp to produce what they want the guitar to do. Remember you have a tone knob on the guitar as well and so on and so forth (this I guess would be another thread).

I remember seeing this next part wriiten somewhere recently and I am too lazy to provide a link (but not to lazy to type) and I agree/ it's your gear do what you want :cool: .

Once, after many hours of experimentation you have found the "tone" you like on your amp, scratch, pencil mark, take a pen --whatever and mark the "position" on your amp next to the knob. This way if you adjust anything later you will at least have a reference of what you liked in the past on and on and on.

Number them if you have more than one you like and you can always switch or adjust , even in a live situation, with ease.

I can't explain enough how much I know what you are going through, and in my humble experience/s this is a common "wall/roadblock/etc." that many guitarist face and can be a big problem in moving forward.

Sometimes we get too hung up on how we sound instead of what we are playing and we also forget that what we hear on a record or DVD has been [U]mixed by a professional and in a live situation it is a total different sound[/U].

These are just suggestions and please take them with a grain of salt. Take what you want leave the rest. I just hope that it helps in some small way to helping you find what your looking for.

I'll get of my soap box.

Good Luck and Rock On!!!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]