View post (what's the problem?)

View thread

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/05/2006 11:30 am
Right, lets see if I can word this eloquenlty.

I have been playing for close on 7 years, I am a gear head, and over that time I hace accumulated a fair amound of really nice gear...The probelm is, that it doesnt sound nearly as good as it should...and its not the gear, its me.

I find that I sound pretty much the same on every amp I try, I sound marginally better on better amps, but no where near as good as how other people sound on them. The thing is, you can always hear its me playing, which would be a good thing, were it not for the fact that me playing sounds harsh and abrupt.

I dont know what it is, my lead technique is not bad, my soloing is pretty good actually, and I am finally getting my sweep picking together, and sounding good.

I dont know what it is, there is some subtle aspect to my playing that just makes what I play sound slightly worse than when someone else plays the exact same thing...if you get my meaning?

I play with rather thick plectrums (1,5mm) and think this could have something to do with the problem...

can anyone suggest any techniques I can try to get my playing to sound more fluid, and to have more feel? maybe I should play softer? but I dont consider my pick technique to be hard...

I'm pretty sure this problem is lying in my right hand technique, so if anyone has any suggestions, please post away...I will try anything, so even if you think its not the solution, please post it anyway.

thanks guys.
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]