What type of pedals should i have on my pedal board?(eg.wah,overdrive etc.)

ROCK ON
ROCK ON
06/01/2006 6:08 pm
im constructing my first ever pedal board and wondered what is the best range of effects to have for a first timer. I'm looking to have 6 pedals on it. Any suggestions?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
06/01/2006 6:50 pm
You have to look at what kind of tone you want... do you play metal, blues, or rock??? i have two different pedal boards... one for recording... and one stage...

Stage Board:
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Ts-808 reissue TubeScreamer Overdrive
Boss Delay
Boss Chorus
Behringer soundgate (rack mount)
and Alesis compressor (rack mount)
and also a Fender chromatic tuner pedal...
Then I have a dual channel selector for my amp (JCM 800).

I play mostly bluesy/rock stuff... but when we play anything metal I switch my amp from the clean channel to the dirty channel... it works well for me...

Recording/Jamming board:
Dunlop Hendrix Wah
DOD Distortion pedal
GENX3 (use the soundgate and compression set to clean channel)
Boss GT-8 (Use the effects and the expression pedal to create some cool tones in conjunction with the GENX and my Hendrix Wah)
DigiTech JamMan Sampling/Looping Pedal

This setup I use at my jam sessions, recording session, and just to jam with my self. I can loop over 30 minutes worth of multiple backing tracks with my JamMan and play over the top of it... I use the GENX to give me tight compression and a good soundgate... I have my GT-8 mated to it so I can play with it's effects and not have to play with a noise gate through it... I can also layer effects with the GENX and the GT... I can run 3 seperate wahs in three seperate positions if I want... To give a big fat sound that pierces all ranges of frequencies... It's not for stage... but it's fun to mess around with.

There are my two pedal boards... but like I said... it's up to what style of music you want to play. My Stage board is pretty basic... it can cover most ranges of music... I would suggest something along those lines. I need to add in a volume pedal sometimes soon...
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/01/2006 7:08 pm
I have 3 that I finally wittled it down to. ( Wah, OD, and Chorus)-- I also use the effects pedal (built in) on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (factory OD)

Try to have your wah as the first pedal in line. (mine I am waiting for a part from a very helpful suggestion ;) here at GT).

If I may be so bold to ask why the number 6????

Was this random as in--I want to have a board with 6 pedals? or is this something you have seen and want to emulate?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/01/2006 7:14 pm
This list is a coupla years old but it might help.

Distortion:
Maestro FuzzTone
Colorsound Tonebender
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanezz overdrive
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Ibanes TS9 Tube Screamer
Boss OD-1

Compressors:
MXR Dynacomp
Ross Compressor
Marshall ED-1 Edward the Compressor

Chorus:
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CE-2 Chorus
UniVibe

Phasers:
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone
MXR Phase 45, 90 or 100

Flangers:
Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress
Ibanez FL-305 Flanger
MXR Flanger
Ibanez FL-301 DX Flanger
Ibanez FL-303 Flanger

Delays:
Boss DM-2
Boss DD-5
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
Roland Space Echo
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler

Tremolos:
Selmer Tremolo
Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan
Nobels TR-X Tremolo

Wah Wah:
Vox Wah
Colorsound Wah-Wah
Jen Cry Baby

Envelope filters:
Electro Harmonix Queen Triggered Wah
Musitronics Mu-Tron III
Ibanez AF201 Auto Filter
Electroharmonix Dr. Q.
MXR Envelope Follower

Octave Dividers:
MXR Blue Box
Boss OC-2 Octivider

Multieffects Units
Boss GT-8
Zoom GFX-4
# 4
shadz
shadz
06/01/2006 8:28 pm
Thats way more than 6!

I agree that it depends largely on your style, but also on things like what your amp is like. I like to keep things as simple as possible, so i got an amp with good distorted and clean tones (Mesa DC 5) and now i only have 3 pedals, and one of them is a tuner! the other 2 are a dunlop classic wah and a boss chorus.

if you are limiting the number of pedals (which i think is a great idea, it keeps your tone more 'pure') then i believe most guitar sounds can be approximated by using:

a good distortion type pedal (if your amp doesn't cut it. if you have a good tube amp, i'd be inclined to use the amp distortion)
a good wah
Chorus (you can get some resonable tremello effects out of a good one)
Delay
Flanger (this can do what a phaser will, not exactly the same, but close enough)
and always leave space for a decent tuner. doesn't matter how many funky sounds you can generate, if your guitar's not in tune, you will sound crap...

obviously if you a re looking for a specific effect (harmonising, ring modulation etc) then you need a specific unit to do that, but the above list shold enabvle you to get enough different sounds out of your rig to satisfy most styles and keep free form jams interesting...
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/02/2006 6:20 am
dude, this can usually be answered by one simple question..."what kind of pedals do you want on your pedal board?"

I'd go with:
a distortion of your choice
a wah of your choice
an overdrive, of your choice
a chorus of your choice
a compressor of your choice
and a delay of your choice

also, maybe look into a flanger, and a phaser...but its really all up to you...you cun cut down costs by getting something like a Pod Xtlive, but that has amp models on it aswell...if you dont want multi-effects, then just get a few analog stomp boxes...whichever ones make the noises you wanna make
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.