odd FX

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/31/2006 7:38 pm
why is it than whenever i see multi fx it turns out to be amp modelling and not actually FX.

i'm lookin for some really strange pedals just to inspire me to experiment more with my sound instead of just experimenting with distortion and cleans.

Are there pedals that aren't like the chorus or flanger or trem or wah that are a bit more odd, that are quite reasonable in terms of price that can say make my guitar sound totally different, ie cloud it in effects (i know there are awesome gtar players here that wouldn dare do that but i'm only young!)?

I read the thread on that GR-20 guitar synth but it is pretty damn expensive, products like that any1?
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/31/2006 7:55 pm
1) you should try buying the "regular" effects and really get into them. A good delay pedal (DD-3) can get you some weird sounds. Ever try twisting the delay time knob while something is delaying?

2) There is this thing called a "ring modulator". I beleive it is something in terms of a trem like effect but much harder and weirded to use. I have never seen one and to my knowledge do not ever remember hearing one.

3) Electro Harmonix has some effects that aren't like the regulars made by BOSS or MXR. Check out their website.

4) You could try and find a "theremin". It gives an extremely heavy reverb like sound. Check out Led Zep's "Whole lotta love". Or download some live Zep stuff and you might be lucky and find a song where Jimmy uses it.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2006 8:10 pm
I have a digitech Space station that I love, it is their old Xp series, with just an up/down and bypass switch, and an expression pedal...makes some weird noises, from strings synths, to ring mods, to arpegiattors, to reverse delay etc.

Don think they make them anymore tho...if you can get hold of one, its the Xp300 and they're now pretty cheap if you find them.

also, try a digitech Whammy...or the Gr20, that thing kills
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2006 8:13 pm
sorry, just read Master full post...

every Theremin I have ever seen is a sepertae instrument,and not a guitar effect at all...its like an antenna that picks up where your hand is in relation to it, and emits different frequencies accordingly...really cool sounding...the beach Boys used em too...

also, look into so Moog effects...not cheap, but weird
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/01/2006 1:22 pm
whoah the XP3000 is 200 pounds! screw that that's a heap of money just to play around with, maybe i can find a cheaper one... somewhere , or i'll try the digitech whammy.
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/02/2006 6:25 am
XP 300 is 200 pounds? woh, I must have got a great deal, I bought mine from a store thaat had surplus stock left over from their sale, (about 5 years ago) and it cost me the equivolent of about 30 quid.

also expensive, but worth a look is The Adrenalinn by Roger Linn...I tak it you are in England? they stock them at soho soundhouse, on Charing Cross...they sell for about 250 pounds, but are full multi0-effect units (endorsed by Clapton) with a whole lot of weird effects thrown in as well)...Roger Linn stuff is great.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.