Paint?

thor-2112
thor-2112
05/31/2006 7:12 pm
i dunno if this is the right place to ask but can anyone tell me the type of paint i should use to paint a guitar?? more importantly, what not to use. plese dont recomend anything extreamly expensive or anything involving purchasing a book. thanks
# 1
redspecial
redspecial
05/31/2006 10:26 pm
ok first of all, "thicker is bad"... :)
its the general rule if u wanna hear wood...

it shouldnt be "thick n plastic"... its not like paintin anything. u know, its an instrument, that should vibrate well... so look for smthin durable n sustain well on surface...
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
06/01/2006 7:35 am
well, the most common is lacquer. sometimes water-based, sometimes oil-based.

the rather inexpensive method of painting that I have chosen to do on my project guitar is just staining the wood and then getting a spray-on clear coat.

have a look around stewmac for guitar supplies (including painting supplies) and project guitar for how-to's on guitars (including painting) I've linked you straight to the sections about paint in both links
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
06/01/2006 11:35 am
Obviously all of us here at GT are more than happy to answer any questions about anything... But remember that the internet has an infinite supply of information. Do some research... you can google "how to paint a guitar" or something of the sort and you should come up with hundreds of sites... Also, Stew-Mac is a tremendous site for any luthier. They have literature on pretty much anything. Dan Erlewine is a consultant for them and he is arguably one of the greatest guitar luthier/repairmen of all time... So check out any books by him... Don't expect everybody else to do the research for you though. Good Luck with the project!!
# 4
thor-2112
thor-2112
06/01/2006 7:03 pm
yaa..this is a must be done sort of thing im really rushed and i apriciate all the help. secondly,this is my first guitar project and i redserched my arse off to get it this close to a finished product. im not a fool, i can work google. ok...do i just use regular stain? like from the hardware store? hmm..mabe il just google it....what kind of stain should i use on a guitar..im sure thatl work real good..... :p lol i joke i joke
see yall
# 5
pogohead
pogohead
06/01/2006 9:30 pm
try this.

get some grain filler (hardware store will have it, its common) of the wood type you're using. fill the grain in the wood and sand it down, then get go to a car part shop, get some polyurethane (typical car paint) primer, colour and lacquer. spray them on in that order, do about 1 coat of primer, 2-3 colour and as many lacquer as you like. that'll finish it quick. worked for me. just don't ask about custom paint jobs or anything cos that's a lot more difficult!
# 6
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/01/2006 9:57 pm
Also look into some back issues of Guitar World. It started lasty September I beleive but they had a month by month issue special lesson" on refinishing your paint jobs. The title was something like "how to create your own paint job with spray cans" or something like that.

The writer is located in Canada and has been doing custom jobs for over a decade and each "lesson" takes you through a step by step how to and recommended products you can get a t your local hardware store.

The best place to find back issue ( if they carry this publication) would be your Library and some music stores carry the back issues also.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 7
thor-2112
thor-2112
06/03/2006 11:46 pm
Thanks B'ys!!!!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.