Opinions on the best truck on the market today?

axemaster911
axemaster911
05/27/2006 9:59 am
Im going to buy a new 2006 truck. I want to get some opinions on the best there is as far as durability, and long lasting reliability in the half ton, 4 wheel drive category. Man, I love the Nissan Titan with its over 300 hp V-8, and monstrous good looks, but most the V-6s now are around 240 hp, and would work for me. The Toyota Tacoma, and Honda Ridgeline fit the bill, but I just cant figure out which, if any other is the best in the long run.
Any one got views on this?
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
05/27/2006 12:19 pm
How comfortable are you sitting in each of the trucks? If my memory is correct the titan is more spacious than the others.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
05/27/2006 5:05 pm
While I personally don't drive a truck, my dad had a similar need for 4x4 and reliability for winters in New Mexico (among other things). He asked a mechanic his opinion on the best engine available. He responded with Chevy Silverado (which is what my dad ended up purchasing). The mechanic said if everyone drove those he would go out of business.
I would also say to check out Consumer Reports, either the magazine or online. They just released this year's auto issue. Yet if you're buying brand new, they may not have a whole lot of tested stats on those models yet...but you could at least see patterns of reliability on models throughout the years.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/27/2006 11:34 pm
I used to work in a parts house, and still have a friend who works there, and he is one of the most knowledgable people on vehicles I know. They sell more Ford and Chevy truck parts then anything else. They sell the least parts for Dodge, with Toyota and Nissan falling just behind.

If I were to buy a brand new full sized 4x4, I would go with a Dodge Ram. I like the way they drive, and prefer the interior layout over Ford and Chevy by a long shot. I've never driven or ridden in a Titan, so I can't speak for it, but I really don't like it's looks. If I were to get any truck I wanted, I would probably go with a 2002-4~ model Toyota Tacoma. I used to have a 95-1/2 model Tacoma which was, and still is, the best truck I've ever owned or driven.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
axemaster911
axemaster911
05/28/2006 4:31 am
PonyOne, and PRSplaya, you guys seen it just the way I have, that Tacoma is going to be hard to top, and if I was stuck in Irac back in 2003 that is what I would want to be in for my run to the border.
Much obliged.
# 5
BLS33
BLS33
05/29/2006 12:27 am
if you want durabilty buy a deisel, cummins (doge) or duramax(chevy) , i would stay away from powerstroke (ford), deisel engines last for a very long time, and as far as torque and power go gasoline engines cant come close. If you use a chip on a deisel engine (if you can screw in a light bulb you can do that) your numbers will be extremley high and you will run at maximum efficieny but they are expensive...

also if you buy a ford or chevy you will never have to look for a part, all so easy to find
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
05/29/2006 2:29 am
I was trying to find this video, but I can't for the life of me. anyway, in the video, they were trying to kill a toyota truck (tacoma? I'm not sure) they ran it into a brick wall, they chained it down to a rock along the shore, and it got pounded with waves all night, they lit it on fire, and they finished by putting it on top of a building, and imploding the building beneath it. it still ran, after all of that. they are practically indestructable.

other than that, I know nothing about trucks, sorry! :o
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.