Scale length... neck length... # of frets....

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
05/26/2006 10:23 am
Well, the only guitar-guitar I own right now is a Mexi-Strat.

I'm guessing it's a longer scale than a Gibson (and similar)?

I'm guessing the shorter (Gibson-type) scale is better for chords closer to the peghead neighborhood, particularly weird jazz chords?

I'm guessing the longer (Strat-type) scale is better for hitting the high-frets and whatnot?

More or less? :confused:

I want to get a guitar that's easier to do the aforementioned weird jazz chords on. It's about as difficult to do them on my Strat as it is on my longscale bass!
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/26/2006 12:38 pm
In my opinion, the scale of the neck is a personal preference thing. I personally don't like 25.5" (typical Fender style scale length). They're just not that comfortable to me. I prefer a Gibson (24.75") and PRS (25") scale necks. The length of the neck also has an effect on the tone of the guitar as well.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
05/26/2006 11:21 pm
I also have relatively small hands. For instance, I tried a Telecaster the other day and the neck was way too fat towards the heel. The reason I chose bass over guitar, originally (years back), was because I figured my fingers were too stunted to do any chords. Well... five years later I get a Strat, I find that I can apply bass chords to it without too much difficulty, and that I can solo until the cows come home.

Now, does the slightly longer neck do anything for tone/low end? Because that is indeed the case with a long scale bass, otherwise us small-hand guys wouldn't be going through all that left hand strain with one.
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
05/27/2006 5:54 am
if it has a shorter scale, the frets aren't as long, so I suppose it would be slightly easier to make chords with. whereas with a longer scale neck, the frets are a bit more spaced out, so when you get up high on the fretboard it's easier to fit your fingers in the frets. but seriously, it's just more of a preference thing. I prefer the shorter scale gibson type (haven't tried PRS yet). also, guitars with a short scale can have fat necks and skinny necks, scale doesn't effect neck shape. if you like skinny necks, pick-up an ibanez RG and see how you like it. Gibsons generally have fatter necks
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.