pick tapping?

pure
pure
05/22/2006 9:01 pm
how do you do pick tapping without screwing your fretboard and pick?
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/22/2006 10:15 pm
uhhh by "pick tapping" im guessing you mean tapping with your pick instead of getting your fingers in there.

but why? seems to me, it has a very blah sound and it will mess up your pick too. it definatly lacks the true sound and feel of actual finger tapping.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
pure
pure
05/23/2006 1:14 am
well this sounds pretty nice to me:

( go to 1:17 )
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/23/2006 3:00 am
The pick damage is pretty much natural. Depending on the picks will determine how well they stand up. If you use the cheapies they have for free at music shops then it's probably going to go bad fairly quickly. As for the frets, I've never had any fret damage from any form of tapping be it with a pick or my fingers so I'm assuming that kind of problem stems from having lower quality guitars.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
pure
pure
05/23/2006 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by: purehow do you do pick tapping without screwing your fretboard and pick?

:mad: :mad:
# 5
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/23/2006 7:52 pm
I really don't think there's any way around damaging your fretboard by pick tapping. It effectively involves chipping away at the wood with a sharpened piece of plastic... if you're already comfortable with finger tapping, I say stick with it. Use pick tapping only occasionally, when you want to play a lick that is easier with a pick.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/23/2006 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI really don't think there's any way around damaging your fretboard by pick tapping. It effectively involves chipping away at the wood with a sharpened piece of plastic... if you're already comfortable with finger tapping, I say stick with it. Use pick tapping only occasionally, when you want to play a lick that is easier with a pick.

Oh, damage to the actual fretboard. I thought he meant the frets themselves. I never thought about the fretboard. I dunno, maybe the height of the action or the overal size/height of the frets themselves would effect it. I don't know for sure though. I haven't had an elaborate experience with different setups specifically for pick tapping.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
pure
pure
05/23/2006 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI really don't think there's any way around damaging your fretboard by pick tapping. It effectively involves chipping away at the wood with a sharpened piece of plastic... if you're already comfortable with finger tapping, I say stick with it. Use pick tapping only occasionally, when you want to play a lick that is easier with a pick.

i know but pick tapping sounds completely different. i dont know of any other way to get that sound.
# 8
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/23/2006 9:35 pm
Well it seems to be settled. Do it! :)

Dude, does jumping around on stage or while you are playing and your GTR hits some thing is damaging? Bet your fur.

Unless you play everything with pick tapping don't "fret" about it (pun intended). I seriously doubt you will cause irrepairible damage even if you played everything with pick tapping.

A "rule of thumb" if it sounds good to you then play-it! :cool:

We don't purchase our guitars for show (most of us anyway). They come with hard cases or gig bags. Not plastic/glass display cases.

Have a good time and don't worry and --Fuh-get about it.....
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 9
pure
pure
05/24/2006 1:15 am
Cool thanks.
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/25/2006 1:13 pm
I use my plectrum for tapping sometimes because you can get it extremely fast and clear. I don't think the plectrum has ever touched my fretboard though... I suppose it depends on how hard to tap the strings. If you try tensing your arm from the bicep down so it shakes/quivers (kind of like playing an arcade game where your finger hovers over the fire button) you can get some serious speed going. This trick only works for pick tapping as opposed to finger tapping. Another benefit of pick tapping is being able to slide from note to note whch can create a nice effects.
# 11
pure
pure
05/25/2006 6:06 pm
well i like low action, i guess that helps, but on my main guitar i have average height because its set in and its sorta at an angle a little bit and to prevent buzzing i have to raise it to average height. is that making it harder to pick tap while avoiding tapping the fretboard?
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.