Practice Routines

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/21/2006 5:14 pm
OK well I've only been playing for about 6 months now and 3 of those months i've been practicing pretty religiously (at least an hour a day), but recently it's lowered to about half an hour a day and even less, basicaly i keep hitting walls, and then getting over them and practicing heaps.

so now that i go to the gym and have my own routine that i do no matter what, i figured i'd apply the same to my guitar. 2 Hours a day, 2 songs a day, and massive scale and chord practice.

So does anybody else have a practice routine?
# 1
Trinivalts
Trinivalts
05/22/2006 1:01 pm
I have been playing less than a year for now. The first months I played much less than now. About 20-40 minutes a day, but later I started playing more and more and on some days it's even 4 hours a day, but that happens kinda rearly. Mostly I'm just playing at the start, sometimes coming up with stuff I found good enought and I play it multiple times to remember it. When it's done or I can't make any new stuff I just Play my earlier stuff or do some technique training, like trying to perfect my barre chords (the 2nd and 3rd strings still buzz a little when my hand is getting tired) or practicing smooth picking, as I like to call it. Picking witout any buzz or unneeded pull off's when releasing my fingers from frets. Thats pretty hard when doing arps. Because I place my finger under each other and then it's more difficult.
I rearly train my ear by learning songs, but I have learned some riffs. I reacently learned some classical pieces from a game soundtrack (game called 'Warcraft III') There were some big intervals but I did it. I found that learning classical music is easyer for me. Than some slow rock or blues solos, altought those classical pieces were pretty slow, easy enough for me.
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/22/2006 9:43 pm
Please do not take any of this in the wrong way.

I tell many of my beginning students to try to practice at least 1/2 hour daily. This is to establish a routine.

Eventually we all get to point where 4-6 hour marathon sessions are held and then we are able to chop up that time into many shorter practices each day.

With all things--Do it in moderation. If you practice too long without building your stength you will end up hurting your hand or "boring" yourself out.

Akira has a good point. It is always important to warm up before you play. Exercises that are designed to loosen you up are the best. Take a short 5-10 minute break after you warm up. Set a timer and then practice for 30 minutes
on whatever you (if you are self taught) or your instructor have deemed necessary for you to learn by the following week.

This would be more for the self taught person.

1) Make realistic goals. Never try to do more than 1 page per week.

2)Information overload!!! Keep different techniques or exercises to a minimum (1-2) for warm ups.

3)Be honest and don't let yourseldf slide on an exercise. If you did not "get" it the first time. Do not skip over it to the next . Learn that exercise first.

Most beginning instructions or books are designed to have you able to move forward with a good foundation of knowledge to be able to play with others, learn more on your own or decide to take more advance instructions with the basic understanding of what is going on or being taught after the book is finished.

4) Reward Yourself! Take a 5 - 10 minutes (or totally get lost who cares about time) to just "noodle" around after your practice.

Play the songs you know, play the licks you know etc.

Sometimes this can be a gauge on how you have progressed and it is still a form of praticing.

Tips:

Here is also some thing I reccomend to my beginning students.

Play your boring technical exercises doing other things.

Most exercises that your instructors or books will teach are to improve your technique and build finger strength.(the "Four Finger" exercise anyone?) :(

They can be very boring and can make your mind wander when trying to focus on them during practice. This can eventually lead to the person learning to become bored and not want to play any more because these things suck! Why can't they teach me how to play like Eddie Van Halen and be done with it??

Well to help you out try this--Play these exercises SLOWLY and try playing for them for one week at odd times and places.

Sitting in front of the TV? Hate Comercials? Well while one is playing paractice your scales or exercises real quick.

This may sound funny but all guitarists have done this. Practice in the WC/John/ the "****ter"

You read in there why can't you practice?

The KEY thing here is QUALITY of practice not QUANTITY. Check out the thread about practicing efficiency in the beginners section.

Unfortunately there is no set way to practice since we are all individuals. You need to find out what works for you and what doesn't. It also depends on the "level" of guitar you want to play. If you want to strum only around a camp fire or for the youth group at church then why bother with scales etc.etc. Become the best chord player around.

If you want to be the next Grammy Winning Insrumentalist then practice practice practice practice etc. Scales, arrpegios.

If your middle of the road and want to learn it allbut focus only on what you like then go for it.

There are many different things and ways to practice and all you need to do is ask and any one here will be more than willing to give you ideas and suggestions. Take what you want and leave what you don't.

**Every one here has and can provide a detailed routine for you to practice by but they will all be different and have been tailored to the individual who has created it. This can be a useful guideline for you to choose and make up your own routine from different prespectives. If you want I can PM you a "routine" written out for you to try and adjust to meet your specific needs.**

We have all been there at one time or another and we have all faced the dreaded "wall" of--"why am I even trying this? I suck! I wasted my money!"

You know what? It is a very dangerous bug you have been bitten by and even though you may put the guitar away you will allways "hear it's voice" since you have learned to comunicate with your guitar.

I'll get off my soap box Rock on Good luck!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/26/2006 9:08 am
I wrote a lesson about practice schedules. This might help you : http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9745
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.