View post (Being told how to play.....)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
06/06/2006 6:51 am
Blackened would sound cool if you slowed it down to doom metal tempo... i.e. Type O Negative or something like that. Of course, then it would take 25 minutes to get through! :eek:

If/when me and my musical project do covers, we will purposefully and spitefully butcher them.

Here's what's on my hit list so far:

- "Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac. Doom metal with f'ed up tunings a la Sonic Youth, with random grindcore blastbeat interludes, and me screaming and moaning the lyrics like a goat is gnawing on my crotch. Very badly off-key. I might get myself really drunk before laying down the vocal track, to the point of my retching at some point in the middle of it.

- "One" by Metallica. Each identifiably distinct bar of each verse/chorus/bridge will be done only once, and several will be arbitrarily omitted, thus truncating the length to about a minute, with notes/progressions switched around and made backwards, and badly off-key vocals; this one guy we know who sounds like a retard when he talks will be moaning "please kill me" and the like in the background. Since I'm 50 times better on bass than I am on guitar, it'll sound like utter sh*t. Basically, I'm a bassist who's been playing (with) the guitar since January of this year; many a bassist, upon getting notably proficient at bass, succumbs to the vanity of "branching out" into guitar, even though we (usually) had sworn we wouldn't give in to the temptation when we first chose bass as our weapon.

- Some kind of Iron Maiden medley... six or seven songs cobbled together and reduced to about three minutes... maybe played at super-fast grindcore/thrash tempo. The bass parts will be easy enough (Dave Murray was the man who inspired me to pick up the bass, the first and only instrument I have mastered), and I think my drummer's up to it... let's just say only by 1.) the distinctive basslines 2.) and whatever lyrical fragments are discernable in my harsh warbling would you even be able to remotely connect it to anything Iron Maiden has ever been known to have done.

- "High" by John Legend. I first heard it on TV and was just struck at what a beautiful, passionate song it was. He's like Marvin Gaye reborn. So I just have to mutilate it.