So I Want To Learn How To Sing

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/18/2006 12:55 am
ok is there any sites like this one devoted to vocalists or does anyone have any advice i would like to learn how to scream as well as sing cleanly and then kind of a growl ways i want to try to be able to sing like would be like metallica ,Children of bodom, and in flames 3 kind of different types of singing and id want to learn them to mix em nicely any links or advice would be graetly appreciated.
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
pure
pure
05/18/2006 1:17 am
funny how i can have a conversation with family while playing guitar but i can't sing 5 syllables without screwing up
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/18/2006 6:36 am
I don't know any websites, but personally, I just started with my CD player! Seriously, man, just close the door to your room (and the windows, if you think anybody might see you), put in your favourite CD, and just rock out, singing along as you go! Concentrate on following the melody as closely as you can to begin with; when you're reasonably good at that, you can work on facial expressions :D. Eventually, try picking up your guitar and playing as you sing.

But that can only get you so far - if you want to be a really good singer, you'll probably need a couple of lessons.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/18/2006 8:30 am
Buy a cheap (or expensive if you're not on a budget) Mic, plug it into your guitar amp, plug your headphones in to your guitar amp, and put some music on your home stereo. The headphones will kinda dampen the treblly sounds from the song in the home stereo and you won't be able to hear the vocalist so well but u'll get the beat and then just sing the song along through the mic and hear it through your headphones, eventually you either get used to your voice or your voice gets better, not sure which one it is in my case :).
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/18/2006 3:52 pm
i dont think listening to yourself will help...go for lessons i suppose
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/18/2006 4:15 pm
Investing in a book or two would be a good start as well as the lessons notion. The more you read into something the better your knowledge of how it's supposed to be done will be. If you have a good teacher to go with that then they can instruct you when you stray from the path of proper performance, but you're not going to find a teacher or any books that inform you how to growl or scream and most likely you won't find very many singing websites that smile upon it either. Just be careful with the growling part or else you'll end up like the vocalist of In Flames (yes I know you referenced them and no I'm not taking a jab) and completely ruin your singing as well as your growling voice. People that treat their voices like he treats his have a future of progressively worsening technique. It's the equivelant of a guitarist with carpell tunnel syndrom continuously playing while never getting his wrists checked out. And the scenario is even more of an issue if you're growling since the vocal style is so much more aggressive. It's super easy to damage your vocal chords by doing so. Yeah, that's about the extent of my knowledge on being a vocalist. It's a lot more of a handle with care thing than I think most people realize and when people like Anders Friden and Chris Barnes are both good examples of how poor care in general let alone with a more aggressive style can really cost you in the future.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/18/2006 7:35 pm
I have a program on Mac that's called Vocal Tutor it's pretty good in guiding you to hit the right note thought it might be wise to get some lessons b4 hand and use it more as a tool for practice then instruction (i've got lessons before, they were helpful but they make u sing britney spears and christina aguilera and really bad pop songs, it's pretty disturbing).
# 7
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/19/2006 12:33 am
one of my freinds says he has some info on a teacher who teaches how to scream/growl/sinbg but i heard there is a waty to do it properly apparently some do it quietly and let the mics do the workk for them
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 8
acapella
acapella
05/19/2006 4:11 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sai dont think listening to yourself will help...

I find that you don't usually hear your own voice the way it actually sounds in many cases, and for a while it would probably be a good thing to hear what you sound like singing. You may be surprised how different it is from what you think it sounds like. Or maybe that's just me.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 9
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/19/2006 2:35 pm
Originally Posted by: purefunny how i can have a conversation with family while playing guitar but i can't sing 5 syllables without screwing up

Man that is just too true! I fell out of my chair I laughed so hard.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 10
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/19/2006 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: purefunny how i can have a conversation with family while playing guitar but i can't sing 5 syllables without screwing up

I've found the trick is to put the song on the stereo, play along to it and try and karaoke your way to singing it whilst playing, because that way you don't ebcome so frustrated if you loose track of guitar (because the song kind of guides you) or the vocals for that matter.

It worked for me and i really haven't been playing for long but it kind of clicked and now i can sing whilst playing (though my singin still needs some work, much like my guitar work :P).
# 11
quickfingers
quickfingers
05/19/2006 3:48 pm
theres a guy on this public acess show over here that sings fundamentalist-christian hyms whilst playing the guitar, and ive got to say that he hasnt gotten any better at singing by listening to himself....har har. maybe hes deaf, i dunno.

do simple breathing excersices and other stuff like that. learn how to sing your solos to a certain extent. im in a ska band and when i write songs, its usually just me and a guitar, so i hum the horn melodies out loud. it helps me get my songs better and my voice better, but ya gotta know when you suck and when you dont. be critical of your voice and get lessons when possible.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 12
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/20/2006 1:52 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersbut ya gotta know when you suck and when you dont. be critical of your voice and get lessons when possible.

Oh im thwe king of being critical of myself when playing guitar so i think simnging will be likewise
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.