Rewiring Epi LP

SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
05/17/2006 4:17 pm
Okay i dont know much about electronics but im still going to ive it a try.
The first thing i noticed is that my epi lp does not have the middle postion availible for the pickups. When i switch from rythm to middle it just automatically goes straight into lead pickup.
I enquired on another forum how to change this so i got middle position and they said i had to do something with the ground wire of the pickups. But to my surprise i cannot not seem to find a ground wire on the rythm pickup. There is only a red wire. Nothin else comes out of the pickup. Am i doing something wrong or are my pickups just not grounded?
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 1
pogohead
pogohead
05/20/2006 11:27 am
that red wire hasnt got 2 inside its plastic covering has it?
# 2
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
05/20/2006 5:24 pm
okay, im a dumbass. yeah it does. Ive got some schematics off the net now anyway. I have another problem now though. can anyone tell me how to remove the toggle switch. It's a bit of a tight spot to desolder in.
2. Secondly, Can anyone tell me why my guitar makes loud buzzing noise when i take my hand of the strings?
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/20/2006 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: SpeckledJim... can anyone tell me how to remove the toggle switch. It's a bit of a tight spot to desolder in.[/QUOTE]
The serrated collar around the switch is actually a nut that is threaded onto the switch. There is a special tool available for those things, but most people just use a pair of pliers. Be very careful about it, so you don't damage the guitar finish. The collar is quite thin, so its hard to grip without scratching the finish when you turn it.

[QUOTE=SpeckledJim]Secondly, Can anyone tell me why my guitar makes loud buzzing noise when i take my hand off the strings?

The Guitar Nuts website has a very useful section on wiring. I strongly recommend that you study the >How It All Works< section to understand why stock wiring on most guitars is actually wrong. Then go to the article called >Quieting The Beast<. The instructions are based on a Strat, but the principles apply universally.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
05/20/2006 6:17 pm
thanks alot man. This is very useful stuff.
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.