fret help??

thor-2112
thor-2112
05/16/2006 8:20 pm
ok how would someone go about "hammering" a fret in place i know that it shouldnt be tap tap tapped in and should be one hit. but do i trin the wire first? or after or do i cut it to exact size then cut it off after? im building a neck from scratch and all i have left is the inlay and the frets. Also what should i use to hold the inlay in place ive heard of something called "epoxy" but i have no idea what that is or where one would fiind it.

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/16/2006 10:41 pm
As it happens >Stew-Mac< has a special on their fretting tools, including a book by Dan Erlewine that you probably should have read long before you got to this point.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
thor-2112
thor-2112
05/17/2006 8:20 pm
i know that allready but thanks u know much about epoxy?
# 3
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
05/17/2006 8:30 pm
Epoxy is just a type of "plastic glue". You can get it at most any hardware/home improvement store.

It usually comes in 2 parts the resin and the activator.

I did not know if this should have beena new post but it sort of fits along the same lines. I am thinking about moving to larger frets.

Have Gibson. Thinking about "Jumbo" frets. I prefer a rosewood top. not maple.

Should I just have the neck refretted or purchase a pre-fretted neck and have the local guy put it on do the adjust ments etc.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
05/18/2006 11:01 am
Answer to the first question:

Read a book on it just like LATS said... there's so much info about it... Plus there are different ways to go about installing frets besides hammering. They make presses and they make slides now as well. The press is exactly what it sounds like... a press that presses the fret into the slot... and a slide is the same way... you slide the fret in rather than hammering or pressing... I personally have only used a press...

Second question:
To the one about whether a refret should be done or you should buy a whole new neck.... If you have a Gibson... I would suggest a refret. When you have to deal with set neck guitars, changing necks is never usually a great idea... If it's not done right... for some reason... It could come lose and so forth... I would suggest a refret... Which may be the more expensive route... but it's a lot safer. I guess it also depends on if you like your neck profile... if you really like your neck profile then definitely keep the neck and go for the fret job. If not... I guess consider the neck swap... But make sure that you're taking it to a certified luthier... or someone with TONS of experience.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.