Hot rail Single coils?

alucard0941
alucard0941
05/16/2006 12:37 am
Has anyone ever had experience with them. Im just condsidering them. I tried to to alot of reseach but havent ended up with the stuff I wanted to know. What Im askin is, how much do they resemble Humbuckers? Do they sound like distorted single coils, do they clean up once they are rolled down to 5 or below volume. Do they have the single coil hollowness that most strats have when distorted (Yngwie type sound).

Im just very curious about them. I know if I really wanted to have a heavy rock sound, humbuckers are the way to go, but am just considering my options. If anyone has played or has any comments or precaustions, please post.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/17/2006 1:05 am
Well Hot Rails are humbuckers, not single coils. I have a Hot Rails in my Tele and love it. They are super hot and powerful.

Since they are humbuckers they have alot more bottom end and mid range that aren't as common in single coils.

With SD you can split the Hot Rails and have both a humbucker and single coil sound.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
alucard0941
alucard0941
05/17/2006 3:21 am
So how much do they resemble true singlecoils? What kind do you have? I love my American stratocaster pickupsa quality wise, would it be a good idea changing them?

lol, sorry about the bombardment of questions, im just trying to get some things straight.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/17/2006 11:13 am
It depends on what kind of magnet the respective Hot Rails use... Strat pickups generally use Alnico (Aluminum, Nickle, Cobalt alloy) of either the II or IV variety... Hot Rails can use Alnico, Ceramic, or other mixtures of alloys as magnets which change the tone. If you want a strat'ish tone with the versatility of humbuckers in a "hot rail" or mini humbucker setup... check out the "Everything Axe" set from Seymour Duncan... my friend has them in his strat and they sound awesome... He can get any tone from Muddy Waters to Dimebag Darryl.
# 4
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/17/2006 8:51 pm
I have the Tele Hot Rails, I don't know what style of magnet is used in them. But they resembe a humbucker because they are a humbucker and when you split the pickup it resembles a single coil somewhat. The sound is thinner and less bass and midrange comes through.

If you like the pickups in your guitar then don't change the pickups. Only change them if you really need to/want to. I recommend waiting to change your pickups.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.