Les Paul prices

Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/15/2006 4:26 pm
:) I'm in the market for a Les Paul.

I have done a lot of price comparing.
I have Gibson's list price on the models I am considering.
I have the normal selling prices of the major dealers (33% off list price).
I also have a couple examples of "Clearance" prices (50% off list price).

It appears that the dealers sell all @ 1/3 off list. If they have them in stock for a while, they sell them @ 1/2 off list. This tell me that they probably get them from Gibson for around half of list cost.

Can anyone verify this?

Examples:
- STD Premium Plus - list=$4028, reg price=$2660, clearance=$
- STD black - list=$3178, reg price=$2120, clearance=$
- STD faded - list=$3018, reg price=$2000, clearnace=$1700
- STD color - list=$3448, reg price=$2300, clearance=$1689
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
Fender Stratocaster EC spec
Gibson Les Paul Std 50s neck:cool:
# 1
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/15/2006 4:27 pm
I'm in the market for a Les Paul.

I have done a lot of price comparing.
I have Gibson's list price on the models I am considering.
I have the normal selling prices of the major dealers (33% off list price).
I also have a couple examples of "Clearance" prices (50% off list price).

It appears that the dealers sell all @ 1/3 off list. If they have them in stock for a while, they sell them @ 1/2 off list. This tell me that they probably get them from Gibson for around half of list cost.

Can anyone verify this?

Examples:
- STD Premium Plus - list=$4028, reg price=$2660, clearance=$
- STD black - list=$3178, reg price=$2120, clearance=$
- STD faded - list=$3018, reg price=$2000, clearnace=$1700
- STD color - list=$3448, reg price=$2300, clearance=$1689 :)
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/15/2006 7:22 pm
I am not sure about actual numbers, but it does make sense that if you buy right from Gibson that the price would be cheaper. Half off seems a bit much, but I am sure there would be some sort of discount because you are not dealing with a distributor therefore you don't have to pay to cover their costs.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/16/2006 10:28 am
some of the bigger music websites offer ridiculous discounts when trying to clear stuff, the only problem you have is the fact that Les Pauls aren't the most ever changing type of Guitar and I can't see why they'd put one on Clearance unless of course a particular colour wasn't popular or they had an excess stock, but it's pretty unlikely. the 33% off is likely as most music websites are very competitive with eachother eg: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517516 has a 34% off.

Music stores won't be so competitive and you might have to heckle them a bit to get a good price. Then again if you pick a music store that fills online orders as well they might have similar prices.
# 4
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/16/2006 1:58 pm
Does anyone know, for sure, what Gibson charges their dealers for their guitars?

My guess is that they charge the dealers around 1/2 of list price.
Then the dealers advertise list price with a 1/3 off.
Then if they have a couple that are not moving, they sell them at cost, which is 1/2 off list.

Can anyone verify this?

It would be nice to know, when negotiating with the Gibson dealers, what their cost is.

Thanks
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2006 2:48 pm
Most likely it's the way you said... Dealers pay half the list and sell for 1/3 off list. BUT, Gibson is a pretty big time franchise and I almost garauntee that they sell their guitars to big name dealers (Guitar Center/Musicians Friend... etc.) for a lot less than 1/2 list... It's probably a cost based on annual sales margins and supply and demand curves... So it may fluxuate annually. But on average I would say 1/2 list is probably pretty decent. Gibsons prices are so inflated that it's ridiculous... I can't even justify buying a Gibson... I love my two Fenders....
# 6
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/16/2006 3:21 pm
:) Thanks for the info.

I love my Fender Stratocaster too. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

But…… I would like to own a Les Paul too.
It will be a challenge to me to get what I want for just a little over a dealer's cost.

I know how dealers are really pressured to maintain a certain sales volumes with Gibson.

It is my understanding, talking with one of the Sam Ash’s salesman, that Sam Ash lost their Gibson dealership because they could not maintain a certain volume that Gibson dictated.

Knowing this, I feel Gibson dealers will sell a Les Paul at their cost to help maintain their numbers, especially at the end of a month, if they are behind.

So, if I could get a new Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s neck, that has a list price of $3200 and an asking price of $2112 (33% off) for $1600 (50% off) or less, I might be able to justify the purchase.

Especially knowing that the resell value of Les Paul guitars are good and could probably get my money back, if I had to sell it.

Again, this is why I would like to know, for sure if most dealer’s costs are around ½ the list price.
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2006 3:25 pm
I can't tell you for sure. But I can almost bet you're pretty close... One thing that you can do is check Ebay.... Don't look for a private seller... look for dealers that are selling Gibsons. Often times, Guitar Center along with other dealers will put guitars on Ebay to unload them... Because Ebay gets a lot of traffic. So check into that. Like I said though... stick to the dealers because you never know who is just there just to screw you out of your money.
# 8
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/16/2006 3:49 pm
what you said with the dealers thing must be the reason why guitars cost 50 - 100% more in any country except america. it's so annoying! i actually justified a 100 pound (200 us dollar) shipping fee the other day and still saved 200 pounds (400 us dollars) on the guitar! it's ridiculous. Check Thomann.de, very occasionally they can beat a US seller, they are, as far as I know, a dealer.
# 9
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/16/2006 4:26 pm
Oh, I'm a "eBay-junkie".
I found my Stratocaster on eBay for $650.
I bought my Fender amp and guitar case on eBay.
I have bought many "Blues Jam" CDs on eBay.

I am a IT Manager at my company and buy all types of computer stuff for my company, family and friends on eBay too.

I started on eBay looking for a Les Paul.
I have found, so far, that there are no good deals on Les Pauls on eBay.
Even used Les Pauls are selling for almost regular new selling prices at the dealers.
That's why I know, if I buy a Les Paul, I could unload easy, on eBay.

If you hear of any deals, please email me (djlogan33@cs.com).
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 10
humbledan
humbledan
05/16/2006 5:24 pm
Last year I visited the Gibson factory in Memphis. After the tour, I stopped in their retail store and was pretty much amazed that they offered NO discount off their suggested retail price. What you see is what you pay. I questioned the sales staff about this and they had no excuse. I suppose they figured that after taking the tour and listening to all the hype, people would be ready to pay their inflated prices.
Not me.
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2006 5:55 pm
Isn't the factory in Nashville???
# 12
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/16/2006 5:57 pm
This January, during the "International Blues Challenge", in Memphis, I also toured the Gibson factory. They only make the "B.B. King" type guitars there.

Your right, their store at the factory had the guitars at full list price.
But, there were models that I had not seen before and I also learned a lot about the Les Paul guitars models and neck sizes, that I did not know.

I want to tour the Gibson factory in Nashville, where they make the Les Paul guitars, within the next couple of months.

I'm sure Memphis and Nashville is NOT the place to buy a Gibson guitar at a good price. If you are in Memphis or Nashville checking out guitars, they think that you will be willing to pay more.

If I keep shopping, I am sure I will be able to buy a Les Paul, that I want, for a price a little over cost. Meanwhile I will keep enjoying playing my Stratocaster. Check out the attached picture of my Strat. :cool:
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 13
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/16/2006 6:33 pm
It used to be that all guitar stores negotiated all prices like used car dealers. Some probably still will negotiate, though it is less common than it used to be.

Armed with as much knowledge as you have, you should be in a good position to negotiate. Find three dealers who have the color/model you want. If there are no local dealers, call up some online dealers on the phone and ask them. Talk to them about pricing. Be respectful and you should get at least some discount beyond 33%. You might even get to 40% off.

That is what I would try next. Hope that helps.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/22/2006 7:07 pm
:) I was in Tennessee over the weekend at a Gibson guitar dealer.

He verified that they gets Les Paul guitars, from Gibson in Nashville, for 1/2 list plus shipping.

I can buy order any Les Paul from him at 40% off list, which would just cover his cost and shipping.

Since he is out of state, I would pay no local sales tax.

Used Les Paul guitars are selling for more than this on eBay.
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/22/2006 10:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Dennis Logan... Used Les Paul guitars are selling for more than this on eBay.

Ya don't say...

>This< is ridiculous! $200,300.00 and "The Reserve is not met". Fugeddabowdit! :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
05/23/2006 6:49 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsYa don't say...

>This< is ridiculous! $200,300.00 and "The Reserve is not met". Fugeddabowdit! :p

oh yeah dude! original 50's les pauls have sold for over a million... not to actual guitar players, but to very wealthy collectors. of course, it has potential to keep rising in value the older it gets.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 17
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
05/29/2006 2:06 pm
I guess being patient, shopping at multiple websites and multiple music centers, in multiple states, paid off.

I beleive I landed a good deal on a new Gibson Les Paul 50s-neck (Ebony).

The best deal I was offered was from an out-of-state dealer.
I was offered 40% off list plus shipping (Gibson list is $3,178).
I was offered $1,899 plus $30-shipping. I almost took this deal.

I kept looking on eBay and found a even better deal.
I found a brand-new (2006) LP, that a guy bought on 5/16/06 at Guitar Center for $2,129 plus $106-tax ($2,235).

I won the bidding at $1,351 plus shipping.
I received the guitar on Friday. It was all that I expected.

Deals are out there... :)
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 18
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/29/2006 2:34 pm
Deals are always there to be had...you just have to look around. I have a specific sales person that I usually deal with, and I usually get over 40% off of list price...it usually works out to about 20% less than I would pay anywhere else.

also, if you know what you are talking about, salespeople tend to give you bigger discounts, probably because they figure they cant bull**** you and make you buy that way.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 19
Dennis Logan
Dennis Logan
06/11/2006 1:08 pm
To me, the deep "bluesy" sound of a Gibson Les Paul from those 2 humbucker pickups, the feel of the 50's style neck,
the quality components and good looks, far surpasses any guitar I have ever played.

I took my Stratocaster into Guitar Center. I found a good amp with two inputs.
I adjusted my guitar to sound as deep/beefy as possible and then found a Les Paul, adjusted it the same way and played them back-to-back. The Les Paul sounded so much better.

I guess being patient, shopping at multiple websites and multiple music centers, in multiple states, paid off.

I believe I landed a good deal on a new Gibson Standard Les Paul 50s-neck (Ebony/Black).

I verified that Gibson sells their guitars to their dealers at 1/2 their list price.
The dealers normally advertise them at 1/3 off list price and sell them at their cost when they are not meeting the Gibson quotas.

The best deal I was offered was from an out-of-state dealer in Tennessee.
I was offered 40% off list plus shipping (Gibson list price is $3,178 for LP STD 50s-neck Ebony).
I was offered $1,899 plus $30-shipping. I almost took this deal.

I kept looking on eBay and found an even better deal. I had been watching and bidding on other Les Pauls for weeks.
They were all going for close to what I would pay at Guitar Center (Sam Ash lost their Gibson dealership, because they could not keep up with Gibson's numbers).

I found the brand-new (2006) LP on eBay. A musician bought it on 5/16/06 at a Guitar Center for $2,235 with sales tax.
I have copy of his receipt.
I won the bidding at $1,351 plus shipping on 5/24. That was $884 less than what he paid 2-weeks before.

I told the guy that I still like the clean and crisp sound of a Strat, but also like the deep & chunky sound of a Les Paul.
I told him that I thought it is easier to make a Les Paul sound like a Strat than to make a Strat sound like a Les Paul. He agreed.

Many talk about how heavy a Les Paul is, compared to a Stratocaster. My Les Paul only weighs 2-pounds more than my Strat (LP=9lbs - Strat=7lbs). The LP is around 28% heavier. With a 3” guitar strap the 2 extra pound is OK.

There are deals out there. :cool:
Dennis Logan
Keep the Blues Alive
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.