Guitar Competitions... a hostile environment?

BadHorsie
BadHorsie
06/25/2000 1:32 am
Check this out. I was practicing at Guitar Center for the upcoming contest I'm in and was getting a lot of dirty looks from all the other people who were doing the same. I have no clue why but if it's because they thought I was showing off that's pretty funny because I don't consider myself even remotely good at the guitar. Well, if that wasn't enough, one of the guys, who looked more like a football player than a guitarist, was walking passed me and tried to knock me down by throwing his shoulder into me!?!?1? Has anyone else had an experience like this or am I the only person who creates hostility at an amateur level contest or what?

------------------
I'm off like a herd of turtles in the moonlight!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/26/2000 12:54 am
I was at Guitar Center buying something when they had the local contest, so I figured I would catch some of the show. Everybody at the local GC was respectful of each other. I didn't see anything like what you are talking about.

There was a large turn out. That was surprising. I had gotten something in the mail about it that said "check the website for details" and the website had no details, so I was surprised these people even found out what day to show up.

I am webmaster at another site, too, called www.guitarwar.com and it is a competition. There are no prizes but people still get really worked up about who is better than who....

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
06/26/2000 2:52 pm
Exactly, I always expect pretty good competition. But what this guy was doing totally blew my mind. I just don't understand how you could resort to violence when it comes to a music contest. Go figure!

------------------
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
07/03/2000 2:04 am
Here's a little update on the competition for you guys. I lost... oh well. But I did place a lot higher than the guy I was telling you guys about . Question: Anybody else get involved in the Guitar Center competition or any other type of guitar competition?

------------------
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.