View post (sanding off paint! help!)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
05/25/2006 11:24 am
To start with the original question of the thread and to allow this thread to not be jacked.....

6Strings... The idea that someone gave of using a stripper in combination with sanding is about the best thing you can do without goin out and buying new tools... In most shops there is a sander that has a band stretched a few feet... The band is a big wheel of sandpaper... When you press the piece of wood onto the band it forms around the piece... This is what most luthiers use to get into the horns. They can press that part of the guitar right onto the belt and the belt forms into the crevace. But tools like that can be expensive... So grab some stripper... some rubber gloves and some sandpaper and go at it.

Now to answer the hi-jackers questions. haha.

1) I hate gloss finish necks as well... I can deal with a little bit of lacquer... but I prefer a nice smooth neck. If you have ever seen a Zakk Wylde Gibson Les Paul... the back of the neck is stripped to bare wood and finished with a wood sealer... so it's bare Mahogany... His tech basically took a sander and paint stripped to the back of the neck... just like 6strings did to the body of his guitar... You take off the gloss finish... then seal the bare wood with some kind of sealer... I prefer a satin lacquer. You can get it in a cheap spray on kind... But I suggest getting a few extra cans so you can practice on some spare pieces of wood....

2) I have no idea what you're talking about here... The question is way too vague to clearly see what the problem is... It sounds that maybe you had a bad fret job or something... or bad fretwire... or bad fretboard... I can't really tell. But basically the only way to really clean the fretboard up is to remove the fretwire... smooth out the radius... smooth any extra lacquer or paint... then install new fretwire... If you can be more specific about where the stickyness comes from on the fretboard (ie... the edge of the frets, the fretboard itself, the top of the frets) Are the tops of the frets smooth or do they have grooves worn in them....?? Do the frets have tiny cuts in them?? Is it only on areas of the frets where there are wound strings?? These are some questions to ask yourself..