View post (Transition guitarists! Important...)

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
07/17/2001 6:28 pm
I hope this isn't a private conversation, but I can't help adding my two cents.

I've just finished a lengthy session of surfing http://www.guitarnuts.com, so if it seems as if all my posts refer to that site, you're right. It's a good site that is written by someone with a healthy dose of objectivity and who speaks in mostly normal English.

Anyways, the writer talked about amps. In the other thread that begat this one, Raskolnikov suggested a 50W amp. Now, generally, I don't like to disagree, especially with people who know what they're talking about. But the writer of the guitarnuts site stated a scientific fact which was that you need to multiply the wattage by 10 to increase perceived volume by 2. So, a 5W amp is only half as loud as a 50W amp.

So, the guy on this site that I keep talking about suggested to look for an amp with all the features you're looking for, and one that really sounds good. He has an Ampeg 15W tube amp which he says has great tone. Raskolnikov suggested a 50W amp, and that may be a good choice, since at that level, most come with good tone. But there are 15W tube amps with good tone out there, for a good price.

I could babble on, but most of what I'm saying is contained in the amps / gear review section of the guitarnuts site.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]