View post (Rules were meant to be broken...)

View thread

SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/29/2006 4:28 pm
Working in the key of Emaj,E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E,a typical chord sequence might go as follows-
Emaj (root)-D#/Bmaj-C#minor-Bmaj-Amaj-Bmaj(resolution chord)-Emaj(root).

An example of breaking a rule would be the addition of this strange chord-(A#-E-A#-C#-E) between the first Bmaj and Amaj.Play both chord sequences as written and you will hear how the strange chord adds mystery and suspension to an otherwise very plain and predictable chord sequence.

Emaj-D#/Bmaj-C#minor-Bmaj-(A#-E-A#-C#-E chord)-Amaj-Bmaj-Emaj :Note A# is not in the key of Emaj yet works fairly well I think.

Cadence is another word for resolution,getting from a chord back to the root.Because I knew the authentic cadence of Emaj is Bmaj,and the plagal cadence of Emaj is Amaj,I split the two by making A# the root of the strange chord,then adding two notes that were in key,E and C#,for relativity.

Setting the listener up with predictable chord and melody sequences that change artfully and unexpectedly and then return to the norm is a proven successful songwriting technique.It also allows you to draw the listener in and then shift gears musically,ofttimes leaving them in suspended animation not knowing where the melody will turn next.This idea of suspension and release is a hallmark of good songwriting.Thus,breaking a musical "rule" at the right place and in context of the key and melody breaks up the monotony of predictable chord sequences,while at the same time providing even a layman the ability to identify with familiar chord and melody progressions.