strumming help please..

Dragon000
Dragon000
04/27/2006 11:31 pm
hi

I'm a beginner in guitar first of all so please forgive my lack of knowledge

when i want to strum all the strings altogether twice in a row very fast, like E, E, E, E (the 12th fret), E, E the first strum then E, E, E, E flat (the 11th flat), E, E the second strum

how do i strum so that i can hear the difference when changing frets? cause when i strum, all other strings are so much louder than the fourth string which i pressed my finger on therefore not making it very apparent that i changed fret

excuse my sentence structure if it's bad

any help on strumming is appreciated

thanks in advance
# 1
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
04/28/2006 1:20 pm
I have a similar issue, i always find open strings are louder then fretted strings, is it just me? perhaps open strings need to be muted slightly or played less aggressively?
# 2
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
04/28/2006 1:35 pm
Strumming is an art in and of itself,especially combining open and fretted notes.Make sure to press down firmly and squarely on the middle of the fret.Using a thin or medium pick as opposed to a heavy pick will also help.The most important point of this question applys to all techniques...play steady and evenly,with an even amount of force on the upstroke and downstroke.If one note or several notes are more prominently heard than others,work on the technique until all notes are heard equally or as equally as possible.Lowering the "action" if possible may also help,but not to the point of fret buzz.So to review-finger the fretted note square in the middle,use a thin or medium pick,lower the action if possible,and strum with even force across all strings.Also,the lighter you strum the better chance all notes will be heard equally,hope this helps.

p.s.-Where you strum laterally also will make a difference.The closer you strum to the bridge I believe you have more control,this will make the tone thinner however.The closer you strum to the neck,the more open strings are heard.
# 3
thor-2112
thor-2112
05/05/2006 12:27 pm
well it comes natrully after time, you will figure it out dont "fret" about it ..oh my that was terrible hahaha
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.