Talent Show

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/27/2006 1:28 am
for the 8th grade talent show I was going to play with this drummer but he didn't want to, and we found out way too late that auditions are coming up, so I think Im just gonna play guitar by myself, what do you think I should play?(what type etc.) I have this kind of basic song idea, I will record it and put it here tomorrow, just some parts though. I try not to remember my 6th grade talent show, I completely blanked out, and it was terrible. So I really want this year to go good. any ideas or suggestions?
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/27/2006 1:51 am
Just did a my sweet solo version of Voodo child (slight return) at a school concert. It was awesome! A 3 minute long improv session...yummy. But try not to do songs with too much rythm and no vocals! Pick something with an interesting guitar part. You might be able to get away with some satriani, or you could play van halen's eruption. that usually impresses the crap out of people, and its pretty easy to play. Or you could do an all out shredfest, it's up to you.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/27/2006 2:33 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManJust did a my sweet solo version of Voodo child (slight return) at a school concert. It was awesome! A 3 minute long improv session...yummy. But try not to do songs with too much rythm and no vocals! Pick something with an interesting guitar part. You might be able to get away with some satriani, or you could play van halen's eruption. that usually impresses the crap out of people, and its pretty easy to play. Or you could do an all out shredfest, it's up to you.

haha, I feel like a suck now, no way I can play eruption for sure, not the whole song, I think I might write something, I dunno, no vocals though kuz I can't sing, I will post kind of an idea of what I might play in this thread tomorrow, and tell me what you think, again though, Im not a really really advanced player
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

# 3
acapella
acapella
04/27/2006 2:35 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14Personally, I'd do an acoustic song... a classical piece or something.
Electric guitar by itself doesn't really do much for a non-musician audience unless theres some sort of backing instrument.

What he said. If you just go up there and blaze away on an electric, or even if you play a song, nobody will listen. Do a solo acoustic, that's the way to go.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 4
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/27/2006 7:04 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141haha, I feel like a suck now, no way I can play eruption for sure, not the whole song, I think I might write something, I dunno, no vocals though kuz I can't sing, I will post kind of an idea of what I might play in this thread tomorrow, and tell me what you think, again though, Im not a really really advanced player

You don't suck, just inexperienced. It would probably be a good idea to do something on acoustic. Try the rythm to Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here". or something relativly simple like Purple haze on electric. Just play off of your strengths.

And dont tell yourself you suck! If you do, you will never get better! Just keep practicing!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 5
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/27/2006 10:15 pm
thanks :D, Im still trying to decide, but I'll let you know,auditions are next wekk wed. and thurs.

# 6
aschleman
aschleman
05/01/2006 3:44 pm
Probably one of my most memorable moments from high school was when me and about five or six other close friends... 3 were guys and 2 were girls... set up a bunch of stools and bean bag chairs on stage and playe 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins... we had 3 acoustic guitars... one vocalist... a Djembe drum... and tamborine... It was really cool because It was on the last day of school for our talent show... and a bunch of the seniors and teachers were in tears by the end of the song. It was really cool. So you can do something really sensitive like that... or choose to rock out.... I personally like the emotional type stuff... that same talent show I also did a cover of The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve Pipe (I think... I always get it mixed up with the Verve)
# 7
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
05/01/2006 8:45 pm
I think playing something acoustic would be sweet, but auditions are on wed., I came up with this kind of blues rockish thing I think I will play, but maybe next time I'll try something acoustic, because that'd be pretty cool too, thanks for the advice :D

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.