View post (whats with all the screaming)

View thread

dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/26/2006 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI really think that before you "throw your weight around" you need to establish some credit here... I really don't care what you think about anything.... honestly.... But I'm not going to let you come on this forum and suddenly say that the opinions that we are posting are "ignorant". If you can't handle someones view on a particular topic... I think you need to look for a different forum because there are a lot of opinionated posts on this forum... I believe that as a whole all of us here at GT do a good job of excepting those opinions... and the ones that don't, soon find themselves band... for one thing or another... So I suggest you check your ego at the door and except what people think about your beloved "growling". This is a guitar site... not a Growling site... expect an opinion from a guitar players point of view.... not a vocalists point of view. As for whether or not growling is easier than singing... I think the concensus has been unanomous that it's not... I won't disagree with you that it's harder on your throat... But the voice training that a "growler" does isn't designed to help them hit certain notes... they're designed to build callouses over their vocal chords to allow them to scream without causing permanent damage...... As for the aesthetics of growling.. I never said it didn't have it's place in metal... I simply said that I don't choose to listen to it... Maybe it's because I'm not full of "hate, death, and pain". Bottom line... don't become so easily offended... if you can't take criticism on something like "growling" then your musical career is going to be a long and rough road... criticism is not in shorthand in the industry... Just relax and take it with a grain of salt. No one here is trying to insult you or the type of music you like. We simply said that we don't choose to listen to it. That's our choice. There are plenty of other people here that do like that kind of music... So you're not alone... oh yeah... Welcome to the boards!

Because I'm not an idiot with an ego problem, i'll admit you're probably right about me maybe taking the criticism a bit too seriously, but still, i read several posts saying that harsh vocals were made for bands without good vocal talents, thats actually not how it started, although i admit there are bands who growl because they're incapable of producing excellent clean vocals, and this is actually not so important in this genre of music where the instruments play a much more important role than in any other genre. anyways being a very passionate fan for this music and other clean vocaled-bands as well (power metal) i guess my reply couldn't help but be a little bit on the biased side and yes there are cases where people find it easier to sing harshly instead of cleanly, but i refuse to believe that at the end of the day singing harshly at some long concert is easier than doing it cleanly. sure it may sometimes be easier to produce different notes but doing it as a profession is more difficult to keep up because most people get headaches and pass out if they growl as long as the pro's. and no, not all of you just said you simply didn't choose to listen to it, maybe you didn't read all the posts on this thread. oh and thanks for the warm welcome.