frets and inlay

thor-2112
thor-2112
04/19/2006 6:45 pm
hey all this is my first postage on this site can anyone tell me the safest way to put frets on? AAnd whats the best tool to cut alabone with?(im making my first guitar) well any input is apreciated thank you
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 6:55 pm
The safest way to put frets on?? Safe in regards to the guitar or your own safety?? I'm sure you're talking about the guitar... But anyway... Check out www.stew-mac.com they have a ton of tools that are used in the process of cutting abalone and also fretting and crowning a neck. If you're doing inlays... the easy part is cutting the abalone... the hard part is engraving the same design on the neck or headstock... or whatever... and making it fit. You need to learn how to use filler material effectively and do it without making a mess... these two tasks (inlaying and fretting) are probably the hardest of all tasks.... making your own neck from scratch IS the hardest thing a luthier does..... so I would say grab a book that tells you in length... I could go over the process but that would take quite awhile... and seeing as in how I'm at work... I don't really have that kind of time. So check out stew-mac they have all kinds of tools as well as literature on how to do both those tasks... good luck!!!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.