Stereo vs Mono??

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
04/19/2006 10:40 am
What is the real difference between Stereo and Mono configurations in Amps? Some amps claim they can do 150 watts Mono but only 75 watts stereo. But if we're talking about how loud the amp is do the 2 75 watt channels end up equalling a 150 watt sound ? (not that i'll ever crank an amp that loud, or at least not for a while). What are peoples general opinions of stereo amps, both Combo and Stack.
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 2:00 pm
The way that it usually works is... A head can run one cabinet at 150 watts... or two cabinets in stereo at 75 watts.... this obviously means you split the output between the two cabs... The advantage of having a stereo head is that you get to hear the full effect of your effects pedals... If you run 2 cabs in mono configuration the same sound comes out of all the speakers... If you run 2 cabs in stereo you'll find that when you have a flanger on that's set to pan left to right... that it, in fact, does pan the sound from the left cab... then slowly into the right cab and back and forth. It's more for effects junkies than anything... So, if you like effects... I'd say the advantage is enough to pay the extra cash... but otherwise... I'm indifferent to stereo cabs... I don't use many flangers, phasers, echos, and all that stuff... just a little delay, overdrive, some wah, and such... basic stuff... so I never felt the need to go buy a stereo head.
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
04/20/2006 12:15 pm
With 2 guitarists in the band it'd be hardly worth it so i guess i'll just do a standard mono config. Not really an effects junky at all, some effects are nice but rather play around with making 2 guitarists sound like they are in some sort of stereo :P. Thanks for the reply!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.