View post (lookin for my first tube amp)

View thread

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/19/2006 6:38 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaNice call on the Rivera.

I'd also check out a Peavey 5150. I've got the combo version and love it to bits! Between the two gain options on the rythm channel, and the hot lead channel, I can't find a tone yet that I can't achieve.

The 5150, now called the 6505 is really great, it was Eddie Van Halens signiture model, and then after he left Peavey endorsement it became the 6505.
It is also the amp used in studio by bands like In Flames (I know a few others do or used to, but I know for sure that In Flames' Bjorn and Jesper both used 5150's for allot of their records).

I am also in the market for a nice amp ( I already own a Laney tube amp that is awesome, but just not what I need right now)...and the only amp I could find to beat the 5150 is, strangely enough, an Ibanez thermion Tn120...its full tube, and if I am correct runs 4 6L6 power tubes and 5 12ax7 pre-amp tubes...all tubes are Ruby Tubes as stock, and the 4x12 cab is loaded with Celestion vinatge 30's. Its crazy that such a nice amp should be made by Ibanez, but its true, their first tube amp, and its amazing!

I have the cash for mine, but I am just looking about a tiny bit more before I buy...but (and you can ask these dudes, esp. Playa...I have been raving about this amp since I first saw it, and I think its the one...if I havent changed my mind in a week I am gonna place my order).

Good luck man...Soldano also make some awesome amps...not sure what they cost in Canada tho...also worth a look is the Vht Pitt bull.

earlier someone mentioned a Genz-Benz...I tried an El Diablo half stack, and it sounds pants, I cant believe people actually pay money for such awful amps...the worst tube amp I ever played
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]