Technical Help Needed

mattoakes
mattoakes
04/18/2006 7:54 pm
Hi Peeps,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this query but it seemed the most suited!!

Basically I have a Squier Bullet and when I try to play notes down on the 17th - 21st fret on the 1st string (High E) I can bearly hear anything, all my other strings seem fine and it doesnt matter which pickup I use not much noise is heard!!! Is this a problem with crap guitars?

Also while I am hear I am thinking of investing in a new guitar later on in the year what guitars have more than 21 frets?

Cheers again folk
Oh By the way which ones Pink?
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
04/18/2006 9:13 pm
Sounds like the neck may need to be adjusted. I've had that happen before and what's happening is that the strings are too close to the frets and the frets are deadening the notes, if that makes any sense. Try raising your action a bit by raising the saddle at the bridge. If that doesn't help, take it to a tech for a truss rod adjustment....

Most companies offer guitars with 24 frets, just have to look at different models. Ibanez and Jackson mostly have 24 frets.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
acapella
acapella
04/19/2006 4:16 am
Originally Posted by: mattoakesBasically I have a Squier Bullet and when I try to play notes down on the 17th - 21st fret on the 1st string (High E) I can bearly hear anything, all my other strings seem fine and it doesnt matter which pickup I use not much noise is heard!!! Is this a problem with crap guitars?

I think that basically, crap guitars have crap sound. String buzzing is the worst. I'm sure it can be made better with technical adjustment, but in the end a crap guitar sounds like crap. Not that helpful I know :o
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 2:19 pm
Hm... could be a raised fret... or a raised tongue... Either would cost more to fix than the guitar itself... If your guitar has a one piece maple neck... I would bet on either of those as a possibility... rosewood slab necks are less succeptible to rasied frets... but more succeptible to raised tongues... But it could just be that your neck is settling in the pocket... causing it to sit a little differently than it normally would. I suggest you take it in to get the strings changed by a tech... and tell them what your prob is... most likely they'll fix it for you... put your new strings on and have you all ready to go.
# 4
mattoakes
mattoakes
04/19/2006 4:34 pm
Thanks for the responses guys!!

I do have a mega low action on my top E so will adjust that!!

Whats a raised tongue?

I agree it aint worth spending money on a hunk of junk so if I cant sort it myself Ill wait till I get a new electric and then I can open up a can of whoop ass on the crap squier thing!!! After all it only cost Ā£70
# 5
HDJ
HDJ
04/19/2006 5:27 pm
Originally Posted by: mattoakesWhats a raised tongue?

I'm curious about that also. Never heard of a tongue on a guitar.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
mattoakes
mattoakes
04/19/2006 6:30 pm
Just to let you know (incase ur interested lol) that raising my action helped a great deal

Thanks again!!!
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2006 7:03 pm
the tongue of the neck is the part that sits in the neck pocket... it's kind of a Stratocaster or a bolt on term... Sometimes moisture gets into the 4 or 3 screw holes on a bolt on neck style guitar and causes that part of the neck to expand... raising or warping that part of the neck... giving it the name "raised tongue". It can be pretty serious since if that part of the neck warps... there's no real way to fix it except by taking off the frets in that area... shaving the fretboard and evening it out... then refretting. Sometimes the swelling may occur and suddenly return to its original state... But in most cases a raised tongue is permanent and can't be counteracted by a truss rod adjustment... the way that most linear warping (warping where the neck bows toward or away from the bridge) closer to the headstock can be counteracted... Raised tongues are normally more prominent in one piece maple necks... I don't know why... maybe something to do with the rosewood acting as a brace for the maple and it helps the maple keep its shape at the tongue area..... Some luthiers call this a raised heel as well. I picked the term up from one of Dan Erlewines books though...
# 8
HDJ
HDJ
04/19/2006 7:06 pm
Oh, that's cool....makes sense.

Glad that raising the action a bit helped.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.