what books do you recomend

Fret spider
Fret spider
04/11/2006 1:25 pm
hi

untill recently i had a guitar teacher, but since going to uni i have been stagnent in my developement, try as i might i am not really improving. so i am looking to try some books. i have already bought a few books, rock guitar for dummiess, learn to play guitar, and have borrowed my friends contemporrary keyboardist book. although i found a few usefull things in the books on guitar they were really to basic, i dont need to be told how hold a pick or being told that you should play with a metronome, or how to clean a guitar :mad: . the keyboard book was usefull but because i cant read music it made very slow reading and was quite hard to aply :confused: . i realise i will only get decent books from the net, so what would you suggest.

i would class myself as advanced/intermediate in my teqnique. my lead is quite good. i can alt pick pretty well do the hammeron pull off legato pretty fast, tap, string skipp quite well although there is room for improvement, do a bit of hybrid picking, and am just about able to sweep pick.

chord wise, i am verry comfortable with the e and a shpae majour/minor and the four main types of seventh (maj7th, min7th, dominant7th, diminished seventh (root b3 b5 b7)) bar chords. as well as alright with the c and d shape ones. i can play nith and thirteenth chords as well ( although i cant quite remember which one is which).

i am alright in theory in that i sorta understand it, eg modes, outlining chords/arpegios, the idea in jazz that u treat each chord as a seperate key. but i find it really hard to aply as i am not familiar with which not in each scale is the root 2nd third etc (obviosly i can work it out but i am not fluent at it).

what i really want is theory advice with aplication for guitar although i am also up for advice on teqnique. i just want stuff that will give me much more understanding over note choice and allow me to make much better solos.

thanks for your time
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/11/2006 3:37 pm
I would get some Chet Atkins book, just because Chet Atkins is super cool. I don't know what to tell you other than that, you sound like you're far more advanced than I.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/11/2006 9:30 pm
mmm

i dont know, although i know some theory i dont use it when i play lead and i can be uncreative at times. but i guess its swings and roundabouts
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.