Stairway to Heaven Plagiarized?

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2006 5:24 am
I was talking about Stairway with a guy at the music store in T.O., and he was mentioning how the intro guitar had been ripped off from another song called "Spirit" by Taurus. I kinda didn't believe it till I heard this...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/SpiritTrimmed.mp3

Is this just a coincidence, or did Jimmy Page actually steal the riff?
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/11/2006 5:36 am
Spirit was the first band Zeppelin ever toured the US with.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/11/2006 5:40 am
I think the two are different enough that you can't say it was plagiarized. but possibly that it was influenced by it.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2006 5:52 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonSpirit was the first band Zeppelin ever toured the US with.

So much for coincidence. Jeez... I'm suprised he didn't get sued.
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/11/2006 6:02 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI think the two are different enough that you can't say it was plagiarized. but possibly that it was influenced by it.

It's not really influence if it's the exact same chord progression, though.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/11/2006 6:17 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonIt's not really influence if it's the exact same chord progression, though.

but if you look at pop music or christian music you find that they all have the same chord progression, just in different keys. Em C G D gets old real fast
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
stackny
stackny
04/11/2006 6:32 am
I hate it when people make posts like the one Im making now, but does it matter now? Zep wrote enough great music after Stairway to more than make up for any plagiarisms imo. Doesnt justify it, but I wouldnt take anything away from them for it.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/11/2006 6:42 am
yea, and metallica's "am i evil?" is a rip off of "smoke on the water" :rolleyes:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2006 6:45 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyI hate it when people make posts like the one Im making now, but does it matter now? Zep wrote enough great music after Stairway to more than make up for any plagiarisms imo. Doesnt justify it, but I wouldnt take anything away from them for it.

I'd agree with ya, except I just went Google surfing and came up with this.
Apparently Stairway isn't the only song they were 'influenced' by.

Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
* "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
* "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
* "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
* "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
* "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
* "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
* "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
* "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
* "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
* "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
* "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
* "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
* "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
* "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
* "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
I'm not listing covers that the band credited to the actual authors ("You Shook Me") or the less blatant ripoffs (the "Superstition" riff in "Trampled Underfoot").
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/11/2006 6:51 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpyea, and metallica's "am i evil?" is a rip off of "smoke on the water" :rolleyes:

Metallica didn't write "Am I Evil?" It's a cover of a Diamond Head song.

Still, saying this is a ripoff is pretty credible. I mean, it's pretty blatant.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/11/2006 6:55 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonMetallica didn't write "Am I Evil?" It's a cover of a Diamond Head song.

Still, saying this is a ripoff is pretty credible. I mean, it's pretty blatant.

damn...that's right....duh :o
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2006 7:24 am
With the help of my girlfriend, I just did a solo 'influenced' by Eruption...

Ladles and Gentlemoon... "Ejaculation"

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/Ejaculation.mp3

.... yes, I'm enjoying several beers right now. :cool:
# 12
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
04/11/2006 10:26 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeWith the help of my girlfriend, I just did a solo 'influenced' by Eruption...

Nice....hahaha... :D
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/11/2006 3:02 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeWith the help of my girlfriend, I just did a solo 'influenced' by Eruption...

HA! Oh god... You need one good whammy dive bomb at the end, though.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/11/2006 3:33 pm
In regards to the plagiarism......I just can't help thinking "meh."
Ripped off, yeah, probably, but Led Zep was essentially just a folk/blues band cranked all the way up. And it's not like the blues are known for being original. Just say "got me a woman" with some minor variation 3 times in a row, then some other line regarding prison, death, booze, or more women.

I don't really doubt Led Zep ripped off those songs, but it's probably for the best. The artists they supposedly ripped off are a lot more obscure (well, to me anyway), and if they hadn't ripped 'em off, we'd probably never know they existed.
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/11/2006 4:18 pm

I don't think I've ever seen anything as cool as that. I bow my head to you.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 16
Rsam16
Rsam16
04/11/2006 4:55 pm
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137172&postcount=48
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 17
stackny
stackny
04/12/2006 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI'd agree with ya, except I just went Google surfing and came up with this.
Apparently Stairway isn't the only song they were 'influenced' by.

Now by popular demand! A list of some of the songs Zep stole from other artists:

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
* "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
* "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
* "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
* "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
* "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
* "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
* "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
* "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
* "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
* "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
* "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
* "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
* "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
* "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
* "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
I'm not listing covers that the band credited to the actual authors ("You Shook Me") or the less blatant ripoffs (the "Superstition" riff in "Trampled Underfoot").

Dang, changes my thinking also...
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.