Is this nomal?!

strat-man
strat-man
04/01/2006 8:30 pm
Couple of months ago i changed the strings on my electric guitar for the first time, said axe was about 13 months old at the time (know i should do it it more often but new guitarist etc etc) and i noticed grooves worn into the first and second frets! (explains the string rattle i'm getting) today i changed the strings on my acoustic which is 10 months old (see, i'm improving) and thats the same!! now i know fret wear is an issue on guitars, but at this early stage!?! i just kinda thought it would take longer, is this normal? or have just got el-cheapo fret wire on my axes??
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 1
john waite
I'll Decide
john waite
I'll Decide
04/02/2006 12:11 am
Hard to say, because I don't know what the wear really looks like. On a new guitar, the first few months of play make frets look like they are wearing unevenly....but what you are really doing is "dressing" the frets. I doubt you are actually wearing them out, unless you are playing the same song 200 times a day!!! Buzzing might indicate a truss problem.....but at any rate, just run down the axe to your local guitar tech, and have him evaluate the problem. Thats what I always do!!!!! Something works for me, I stick with it!!!
Hey, this doesn't mean I'm a bad person.......
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
04/05/2006 1:43 pm
Fret wear is normal. It depends on how much you have been playing though. The more you play the more fret wear to expect.
# 3
strat-man
strat-man
04/06/2006 6:02 pm
Thanx for the info guys, appreciate it.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 4
pure
pure
04/06/2006 9:24 pm
i had made another thread about fret wear, but this occured from tapping. i was tapping on my 6 month old strat(i was tapping when it was 1-2 months old) and there were sharp slits on the frets i tap the most. thats making me hate guitars cause the frets are gonna be stupid and wear.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.