String guage

strat-man
strat-man
04/01/2006 10:31 am
Hi guys, i'd appreciate a little advice, i understand fitting heavier strings to ya axe can bow the neck, is this only the case when its a big increase or will it happen when increasing by one guage? its just i'm thinking of going from 9's to 10's on my S300 but i dont really wanna start playing around with the truss rod! just wandered what you guys thought.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/01/2006 3:38 pm
Sometimes, even changing brands can change the tension. We aren't talking about potentially damaging effects here, but the string height will rise or fall slightly, depending on how much tension the strings apply to the neck.

Go ahead, try that new set of strings. If you're going up one size, you may find that the strings tend to bind a bit in the nut slots, causing tuning problems, especially if you have a trem, or do heavy bends.

If you decide you want to contiinue with the heavier strings, get your guitar set up with a fresh set of the strings you want to use. This will include any needed adjustments to the bridge, nut and truss-rod.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
strat-man
strat-man
04/01/2006 8:13 pm
Cheers for the advice mr lordathestrings, appreciate it dude.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.