DigiTech GNX3 Guitar Workstation

rockonn91
rockonn91
03/31/2006 8:36 pm
Hey GT world.

its my birthday on monday, so ive decided to get my parents to help me treat myself to a multi effects.

I was stuck on the Korg AX3000, but after looking around some, I came across the Digitech GNX3. same price.

so what do yall think is a better buy? the Korg sure as heck looks alot cooler and has some more features, but the Digitech has the Jamalong (which ive been wanting anyways) and comes with Cakewalke. (which ive also been wanting)

any thoughts?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2006 8:43 pm
I had a GNX2 which was quite nice. It is like the GNX3 but with out the recording hoohaaa (already got one of those !!).

The thing to pay attention to is the length of time the recordings can be. Without the flash card at 8 tracks you can't go very long (about a min I think). It is fine if you are only recording one track however don't get suckered in and read the specs carefully !

Also don't think of it as just an FX board. The GNX is loaded with amp sims / cab sims etc

More digital sounding than the pod but hey some people like that !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/31/2006 9:18 pm
oh, i didnt want it for the recording, mostly just for the looping feature. if all else fails, i could get a bigger card. no big deal. but as for its tone... do all of the effects sound good? from what little experience i have with digitech, they sound pretty good. i dont want any cheap sounding choruses or flanger. does the wah sound real? same with the wammy.

# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2006 10:45 pm
I thought is sounded oK though I preferred the Pod. The FX are nice though to my ear a little digital. They are just as good as the Boss single pedals I have now.

The whammy is loads of fun. I went out a got a Whammy pedal after selling the GNX it sounds the same. I also have the Boss pitch shifter and both sound strained and grainy unless you are running them through an amp and or press the pedal down / up really quickly. I thought the wah of the GNX was OK also.

I think the GNXs are nice bits of kit though again there is the matter of taste. Some people I have spoken to cant stand them others love them.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/08/2006 7:06 pm
ha, just ordered the Digitech. cant wait for it to get here. nothing like getting new gear to get a guy stoked.

# 5
oracleguy
oracleguy
04/12/2006 11:39 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91ha, just ordered the Digitech. cant wait for it to get here. nothing like getting new gear to get a guy stoked.

So I coughed up my 5 bills, (and mailed in the $50) rebate. I'm on week 2 just figuring it out! I also clapped on a 1GB flash card. So I can recored till my hands go numb. I am amazed at the potential here man. Wow!
# 6
EricJ1186
The Crimson King
EricJ1186
The Crimson King
04/17/2006 12:51 am
Really, the MFX pedals aren't as novel as I had hoped. My GNX3000 is still collecting dust.

My main problem with them (particularly that one) is it's too complicated. I want to be able to tweak my chorus, well I'd have to flip through a few digital menus to just get anything close to it. Then, GNX has the patches so if I want to tweak it slight to use, I'd have to flip through menus to store just the 5 point change. With only 65 savable presets, I was at 50 before I even got into the other pedals. Also, you can only be using about 5 presets at time without having to bend over again.

If I am going to bend down to change something, I might as well use the single pedals.

The good things about it are the looping feature, the recording abilities and the fact it's a pretty good practice board.
# 7
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/18/2006 1:12 am
so i got it today. so far, so good. it accentuates my playing style well... doesnt sound TOO incredibly digital. its alot better than my amps presets, so thats a plus.

yeah, it is pretty complicated. theres alot of stuff you have to go through to do simple things, but i really dont think it will be too much of a problem right now.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.