drop tuning

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
03/29/2006 8:04 pm
hi, i got my new guitar today which is awesome (it's an ESP LTD F-2005). it works great and all, but i've started mucking around with songs that require drop tuning. now not only on this guitar but on my other one too drop tuning always results in fret buzz because the strings are so loose. will i have to raise my action or are there any other tips and tricks anybody has for drop tuning guitars.

by the way, drop tuned guitar to CGC FAD
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
03/29/2006 8:10 pm
Get thicker strings... I suggest GHS Boomers, or GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers. The ZW Boomers are what I use on all my guitars. They're great for everything, even standard tuning. I would suggest taking it to a tech and buying a set or two of the strings that you want and telling them exactly what you want. Tell them what your problem is and they'll sett your guitar up to work well with the strings you choose. Ideally you want a guitar set up that will have enough enough action to allow you to play low tunings without fret buzz... then allow you to tune to a normal tuning and play with good playablity... Good luck
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
03/29/2006 8:35 pm
ok cheers, will take it to a guitar techie. i think its worth it seeing how great sounding drop tune is.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.