Peavey, Fender or what ?

Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/25/2006 10:24 pm
I was using a Marshall valvestate with A fender squire, but didn't like it.
I really like the squire and want to buy a new amp to use with it
What do you guys think ?
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
03/25/2006 10:31 pm
Hmm...If your looking for a good beginner amp, i'd say line6 (spider, etc.) but you could also try fender dynatouch series. I would suggest a marshall Avt, but you already said you didn't like the valvestate. What didn't you like about the marshall?
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/25/2006 10:46 pm
The Marshall valvestate and the Gibson les paul sounded really Powerfull, but the Squire sounded weak and lost.
I liked the old H and H amplifiers, but I think they went out of business.
Thanks...
# 3
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
03/25/2006 10:56 pm
The reason your guitar sounds really weak and the gibson sounded strong was because it had humbuckers, and your squier probably has 3 single coil pickups. Humbuckers have a thicker sound to them and increased output.

# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/25/2006 11:20 pm
Yes - that is true
Every guitarist I've spoken to said ' that I needed ' a bigger Marshall ' and I must admit they are great Amps
I tried the Les Paul with a big Peavey and they didn't seem to match.
I've never heard of a LIne 6, but will look into it
# 5
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
03/26/2006 12:21 am
Line6 is a very large amp company! they make digital amps that model (try to as close to) other famous amps. they usually are very versatile and have lots of effects to mess with.

When you played through the marshall, was it low volume? because it was a valvemaster which means it has tubes/valves in it, and tube amps only sound good at moderate to high volume and sound like crap at low volume.

# 6
SPL
SPL
03/26/2006 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_Manbecause it was a valvemaster which means it has tubes/valves in it, and tube amps only sound good at moderate to high volume and sound like crap at low volume.

Valvestate amps only have 1 pre-amp tube in them... so no need to crank them.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/26/2006 1:40 am
True. They sound just as bad at any volume.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
03/26/2006 1:53 am
Well, I didn't know how much of it was tube, I dont play on those kind of amps. I usually play on the all tube amps. I looooove my tubes. They are my little, bright, shiny, glowing friends of guitar tone heaven. :D

# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/26/2006 7:28 am
What kind of tones are you looking for? What style do you normally play? What is your budget?

Read the stickey at the top of this section of the forum for a guide on how to find the right amp. After going over that, come back with some more specific questions.

I must warn you though... I'm a Peavey fanatic. I haven't found a single tone that I can't get out of one peavey or another.

Long live PV :cool:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/26/2006 3:37 pm
oh, Playa and his Peaveys...dont let him get started guys...
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/26/2006 10:50 pm
For years I was under the impression that Peavey was crap... but now I kinda get the picture that it's their low-end models that are particularly lousy even for low-end models, and that their mid-level models are alright but that their high-end models are absolute tops. Or at least that's according to the chatter I've heard.

So is their cheap stuff worse than the cheap stuff of their competitors? (Not that I myself can settle for low-end. My anal-retentiveness when it comes to bass is transferring to the world of guitar.)

Which Peavey model can (allegedly) get every last desireable tone?
# 12
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/26/2006 11:00 pm
PV's low end models are excelent for the price range. I find that they surpass other brands in the same category.

I didn't mean one in particular amp could do everything. Concidering all the amps that they've made, there's not a tone that you can't find in one amp or another. You want JCM800 type tones get a PV Butcher. You want modern moded marshall type tones get a JSX. You want a blend of Boggie and Marshall, get a XXX. You want a blend of vox and fender, get a classic 50. The list goes on and on.

The most versatile PV I've ever played through is the Rockmaster preamp. I run it through a PODxt for cabinet simulation. It has so many different tones hidden it it that it is rediculous.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 13
gailvin
gailvin
03/26/2006 11:06 pm
I've only been playing a few months and I bought a Pyramid small amp and what a POS.
I was at the music store yesterday and looked at what they had and the Roland Cube 30 was amazing. It has all kinds of effects and amp combos and it was loud. I was surprised for a small box how much it put out.

I came home, looked up Roland's web site and they have videos and audio of the effects. I ended up buying the Cube 60. In the video they show a guy kicking the Cube 60 to show it's durability.......I sure hope I don't get that one :eek:

Check it out: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=57

I bought it from here: http://www.americanmusical.com/home.aspx and used their 3 easy payment plan of $115 per month on my CC.
# 14
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/27/2006 3:45 pm
Roland cubes are really really nice...I like them alot.

I want a cube 30 for home practce use, a 15 would even do...so I can leave my bigger amp at our rehearsal spot.

The Cube is in a similar line to the Line 6 Spider2 that was recommended to you earlier...both very nice...and worth their ridiculously low prices.

Nice amp dude, let us know how you find it...a review in the near future?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 15
gailvin
gailvin
03/28/2006 6:47 am
Well I found out today that the Cube 60 is on backorder :mad: , and not just form american music but several other companies also. It's backordered till april 20 and I didn't want to wait that long so I went shopping.

From the advice from above I looked at the Spider II and decided it had several features similar to the Cube. I read a lot of reviews and decided on the 112. 75W of power should be lots for what I need it for. Actually the Cube 30 probably would have been enough but I hate buying something only wishing shortly after I had spent a few more $$.

It should be here by the end of the week so I'll let you know my amateur impression of this thing.

Kelvin
# 16
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/01/2006 2:51 pm
Thanks guys, I quite like the bigger fenders, but still open minded - it definitely won't be a Marshall Valvestate
# 17
gailvin
gailvin
04/02/2006 5:01 am
Well I've had the Spider II 112 for 3 days and here is my unproffessional first time user opinion. Remember take this with a grain of salt as I have only been playing for 3 months. The music I like are AC DC, Metallica, 54-40, Stones, Tragically Hip, and especially Pink Floyd, so you know the sound I'm after.

First time user opinion, I don't like it all that much. I find it rather hard to find the sound I like, to play the songs I like. Blues (red) sounds almost the same as clean (green). Blues (green) is when it starts to get muddy and distorted and goes up from there. I've tried to play Back in Black in Crunch (green) and that's the closest I can find. I haven't been able to find a good sound for Enter Sandman yet but I'm still playing with it.

I know there are lots of settings to try and that's what I'm trying to do, play a little and turn the dials. You can turn off the auto effects with a movement of the drive dial and start trying to get the tone you want.

I took it over to a freinds house on the first day and he use to be in a band and knows what he likes and doesn't like also. He says it has good sound to a point but the effects could be better. We hooked it up to his Korg ToneWorks and that's when it really started to sound good.

In my opinion the Cube 30 I looked at had better, cleaner effects, but the Spider sure looks nice. I'm not saying the Cube 30 is better quality, just cleaner. I think for the heavy metal, muddy, high distortion crowd this would be a great amp.

If any one else who has this amp could give me some tips on settings for some of my favorite artists it would sure be appreciated.

Now I'm off to get a Toneworks.

K.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.