Gig sound help needed-live room

MFerguson
MFerguson
03/23/2006 1:03 pm
I am not sure this is the best place to put this, but I know someone can help.
Our 4 piece classic rock band is "helping out" a struggling restaurant. We are playing a short gig this Saturday night. I scoped out the place yesterday-yikkes! It is a 40 x 80 foot room, ceramic tile floor, vaulted ceiling-starts at 12 feet, peak is 25 feet, 80 feet long. We are going to be placed in the middle of the 80 foot wall, which is all windows except to the 10 feet we will occupy. Where do I place the pa speakers, where to I point them?
Clapping in the room echoed. Whistling was worse. I am thinking point the speakers slightly outward, not quite to the corners of the room, turn off the reverb and turn down the high frequencies...How wrong am I?
Help!
Rule number one, don't do favors until you know all the facts.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/23/2006 3:23 pm
Hard to tell without more details. Do you have any pics avail?
How big an audience are you expecting? If it's a large number, then a lot of the reverb is going to get absorbed by the bodies.
How high is the stage? What kind of restaurant is it and what type of crowd is expected? If it's an opening of a restaurant, are you playing during the meals or is it an 'after party' type of thing with dancing etc?
# 2
MFerguson
MFerguson
03/23/2006 6:56 pm
It is to be an after hours party.
There is no stage.
Anywhere from 30 to 75 people expected, ranging from 21 to 60 years of age.
We play old classic rock like Eagles, Beatles, BTO, Credence Clearwater, Bob Seger...
I am trying to figure out how to send pictures.

Thanks.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/23/2006 8:12 pm
Just going off the info so far...

I'd probably set up the bass and drums like normal, set the guitar amp so it's leaning backwards a bit (or bring it off the floor) and turn it inwards so that it's tight with the amp and drums. With the P.A. I'd just be sure to not have it pointed directed square on into any walls on the opposite side of the room.
I don't think I'd turn them outwards because your singer will have trouble monitoring his own sound. (unless you have mixers), I don't think I'd turn the high frequencies down or adjust the reverb until I heard how it sounded. (ie, feedback)
All this stuff is just guessing on my part tho, cause it depends on the amp sizes, what's going through the p.a., whether you have monitors or not, how many singers, whether you have an EQ for the mics, how loud the drummer plays, whether there's a lower floor beneath where you're playing or you're on solid concrete. (if there's a lower floor, bring the bass off the floor so that all the low notes aren't disappearing downstairs) what type of mics, etc etc... the list is endless.

Overall, basically you wanna just keep the setup pretty much the same as you have it in rehearsal so you have a bit of a space of your own that the band is familiar with.
When you mess around with what you're used to rehearsing with, it screws everybody up and just makes a brand new situation even more difficult to figure out.
I'd just keep it simple and concentrate more on the gig. Once you get a bunch of people in there to absorb the sound, and hopefully dancing and full of wonderful liquor, you won't have to worry too much about the sound.
# 4
MFerguson
MFerguson
03/23/2006 8:20 pm
I love your optimism.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.