can anyone play this??

mxh
mxh
03/20/2006 12:03 am
If you can bend this thats amazing... or im prob doing it wrong.
--2b4r2p0---

third string by the way
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2006 12:46 am
I don't get it. What's so hard about it?
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/20/2006 1:27 am
He's probably having a hard time since its so close to the nut. Just keep at it, you'll build up strength and eventually be able to do it. You trying to learn Back in Black?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2006 3:41 am
What guage strings are you using?
I'm using .16 for the 3rd string and don't notice any problems with it, even using the pinky finger. 2b5 is relatively easy as well as long as you don't mind a little pain :).
If you're having trouble, try bending in the opposite direction. I find that if you pull downwards it's a lot easier on the lower frets. Basically anytime I need to use the first finger to bend, I'll always bend downwards (towards the floor), then bend upwards most other times.
If you're still having problems, try using two fingers.
Best bet though is go with a lighter guage of strings. until your fingers gain some strength. A good guage is a hybrid set: 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46
That gives you lighter strings up top for bending & heavier on the bottom so you can still get some good chunking out of em.
# 4
bambangan89
bambangan89
03/20/2006 6:43 am
uh try using both ur 2nd and 3rd finger..need alota practice... buy 09 string or 08.... i usually use 10 i dont like my string to be to light... i you know what i mean....
# 5
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
03/20/2006 11:25 pm
try using an acoustic guitar with light guage strings. then use your electric with some extra or super light strings. pratice bending>pulling off >and hammerons, on your acoustic then when your fingers get strong and tough.
do the same on your electric. you are sure to notice a big difference in your ability to bend strings and the tone from your instrument. if you don't have an acoustic you can get one that will be fine to practice with for a hundred bucks. I've allways used two guitars one acoustic. when i can play it on my acoustic, i can tear it up on my electric. I also agree with Bambangan 89.
# 6
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
03/20/2006 11:42 pm
Originally Posted by: bambangan89uh try using both ur 2nd and 3rd finger..need alota practice... buy 09 string or 08.... i usually use 10 i dont like my string to be to light... i you know what i mean....

NEVER use 2 fingers to bend one string, especially dont put both on one fret(I think thats what you meant). It would create a bad habit, and you would cripple your guitar playing. You need to learn how to do it with one finger so you can play harder stuff, later on.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 7
mxh
mxh
03/20/2006 11:56 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccHe's probably having a hard time since its so close to the nut. Just keep at it, you'll build up strength and eventually be able to do it. You trying to learn Back in Black?

yeah the song is back in black
# 8
mxh
mxh
03/20/2006 11:58 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeWhat guage strings are you using?
I'm using .16 for the 3rd string and don't notice any problems with it, even using the pinky finger. 2b5 is relatively easy as well as long as you don't mind a little pain :).
If you're having trouble, try bending in the opposite direction. I find that if you pull downwards it's a lot easier on the lower frets. Basically anytime I need to use the first finger to bend, I'll always bend downwards (towards the floor), then bend upwards most other times.
If you're still having problems, try using two fingers.
Best bet though is go with a lighter guage of strings. until your fingers gain some strength. A good guage is a hybrid set: 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46
That gives you lighter strings up top for bending & heavier on the bottom so you can still get some good chunking out of em.

no idea what kind of strings im using... i just went to a music store and grabed the first pack i saw :o
# 9
mxh
mxh
03/21/2006 12:00 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManNEVER use 2 fingers to bend one string, especially dont put both on one fret(I think thats what you meant). It would create a bad habit, and you would cripple your guitar playing. You need to learn how to do it with one finger so you can play harder stuff, later on.

well.... that was close...
# 10
extra_strong
extra_strong
03/21/2006 5:20 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManNEVER use 2 fingers to bend one string, especially dont put both on one fret(I think thats what you meant). It would create a bad habit, and you would cripple your guitar playing. You need to learn how to do it with one finger so you can play harder stuff, later on.

Wow just a few days ago i was told to use two fingers to do my bends. I was like wheel i have been using one why 2? someting about strenght and better on the string.?? i really did not under stand.

Can you give me more info so i can argue my cause. thanks.
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/21/2006 5:40 am
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say "never" use two fingers to do bends.
I agree that you don't have as much control, especially where vibrato is concerned. There's also the possibility that, as a beginner, if you constantly use two fingers, you could get into the habit of always doing it when you don't need to.
If you find after some time that you just can't do bends with one finger, no matter what you do, then feel free to try using two instead. If you're using a heavy guage string or playing on an acoustic you may have no choice.

One thing to remember about guitar, is never say 'never' to anything.
Just because somebody says it's not a 'proper' technique doesn't mean that it won't work for you. Hell... even if you have to use your nose to play something, if it works for you and sounds good, then that's what's important.

Just as a fer instance...when I first started playing, I was told in no uncertain terms "never wrap your thumb around the neck when you're playing... always keep it anchored at the back". Thankfully I didn't pay any attention cause I use that technique all the time now and find that in some cases, it's the only way to play certain chords.
# 12
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/11/2006 8:39 am

Blues Man has a good point;there are more ways than one to skin a cat.
# 13
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
04/11/2006 10:17 am
I almost always use 2 or 3 fingers for my bends, especially the slower ones. If I'm rocking out doin' some fast stuff sometimes I have to do it with just one finger.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 14
pure
pure
04/11/2006 9:39 pm
I DONT THINK YOU SOLVED THAT MAN'S PROBLEM

he's trying to do the bend on back in back.

if you said use only 1 finger whenever bending, youre wrong. if you say use more than one finger whenever bending so you dont have to tire yourself out and you can bend faster, you're also wrong, there is no one correct way to do something. if you watch the olympics you'll see that the runners dont run exactly the same, swimmers dont swim exactly the same, and the list goes on for the over 400 sports at the olympics. you'll notice the athletes use different tactics to achieve a commin goal.

this is exactly what schmange was saying never say never.

BUT

in back in blak, the speed on the part of the bend is too fast to use more than one finger. so you'll have to settle for lighter gauges or stronger fingers.

if this was another song, maybe using 2 fingers would be appropriate. there is no only one correct way, but in this case, that is the most efficient and effective way.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 15
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/11/2006 11:00 pm
I'm just saying, if you begin by using two fingers for a bend, you will inhibit your playing drastically by getting into a bad habit. Sure it will work great now, but when you try something a little harder, further on down the road, you will have to work SOO much harder to play it than if you began by practicing it with one finger.

Now everyonce in a while, some might need some extra fingers to pull of some kind of INSANELY WIDE vibrato. Thats ok, just don't make a habit of depending on 2 fingers to bend a string.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 16
pure
pure
04/12/2006 12:02 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManI'm just saying, if you begin by using two fingers for a bend, you will inhibit your playing drastically by getting into a bad habit. Sure it will work great now, but when you try something a little harder, further on down the road, you will have to work SOO much harder to play it than if you began by practicing it with one finger.

Now everyonce in a while, some might need some extra fingers to pull of some kind of INSANELY WIDE vibrato. Thats ok, just don't make a habit of depending on 2 fingers to bend a string.

agreed. do whats best for the situation. if you only need one finger, use one finger. dont use 2 cause its easier cause its limiting.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 17
Polly32
Polly32
04/14/2006 4:58 pm
O.K. if you want to master the bend go out and buy Stevie Ray Vaughn live at Austin City Limits. (dvd) You should at the very least have 11's on your guitar. Watch and learn. He has one of the most powerful set of fingers I have ever seen. Goodluck (Warning this could hurt a bit and is not meant for people with weak stomach or weak fingers.)
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.