View post (Half Stack or Combo?)

View thread

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/19/2006 9:03 pm
I am looking at a new amp...and having a hard time making up my mind...a few amps have caught my attention.

An Ibanez Thermion 120 watt half stack
a Marshall Dsl50 half stack
a Peavy 5150(its old stock) 2x12 combo
a Marshall tsl602 2x12 combo
and a Marshall tsl60 half stack.

I wanna know what you guys think...
does a 4x12 cab really sound that different to the same amp through a 2x12?obviously the speakers in each play a part, (the Ibanez has Celestion Vintage 30's, I love that sound...just added that...not sure why)...but to what extent does the cabinet shape and size alter the sound?

I know I dont need a halfstack, a 2x12 or even 1x12 tube amp will more than suffice for the club gigs I am playing and am likely to play at anytime soon.
I also know how ****ing cool halfstacks look on stage, and even if I dont necessarily need one...I wouldnt mind having one...

so, any thoughts? or anyone have any suggestions of other amps to look at first? (let me just tell you that here in Sa we dont get Mesa, Krank,Rivera, Saldano or Engl...and a few others...I tried some of those in England, and loved them, but there is not a big enough market to justify bringing them out here...still...make your suggestions)
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]