Have you read this?

earthman buck
earthman buck
03/19/2006 6:58 pm
Have any of you folks ever read a short story called "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison? I read it last night, and it scared the crap out of me. It was quite possibly the best short story I've ever read in my life.

Here's a link to it. I suggest printing it out, then reading it. Somehow I think it would be less interesting when read right off the computer screen.
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

If you can find a link to your favourite short story, put it on this thread. It'll be a good way to kill boredom.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/19/2006 7:08 pm
I've only read about half of it so far - I might read the rest this afternoon - but yeah, it's already scaring the hell out of me! Very Blade Runner :cool:.
It's hard for me to pick a favourite short story...I'll have to think about it...
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/20/2006 4:32 pm
What, that's it?! Just Jiujitsu read the story?! I refuse to let this thread die.
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/20/2006 5:41 pm
I'll read it after work this afternoon.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/20/2006 11:06 pm
I read some of it.. like 1/3rd.. it's kinda hard to follow.. but I'll try and read the rest sometime.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/20/2006 11:16 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiI'll read it after work this afternoon.

Yeah? Well, I read it at work. Talk about a way to pass the time.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
Gaddy
Gaddy
03/21/2006 12:29 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buck Have any of you folks ever read a short story called "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison?

I've just been to have a quick look. "The chill, oily breeze that blew eternally through the main cavern" and that's only for openers. I'm not usually a horror story fan, but if its as good as you say, I'll print it out and take it to work with me.
Talking of reading matter, there's a very long (20-odd pages) feature on Bob Dylan, from early days to present, in this months 'Q' Magazine. Even if not a fan, its a good read, if only to 'get the knowledge'. That, plus a very funny Paul Weller interview and an in-depth analysis of the subjects in the famous 'Quarrymen' (Lennon) Chuch fete photograph, means it's £3.80 well spent this month. The only downer being a page devoted to 'Mr Pretentious' himself, Chris Martin and his opinions on Dylan's work.

btw. I quite fancy 'Dylan' for a name, if the new baby's a boy. Best see what the missus says! ;)
[FONT=Garamond]Steve Gad[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You may hear me upstairs, stamping my feet and kicking the furniture. That's just me 'warming up!'[/FONT]
# 7
Gaddy
Gaddy
03/21/2006 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI've only read about half of it so far - I might read the rest this afternoon - but yeah, it's already scaring the hell out of me! Very Blade Runner :cool:.

Blade Runner. Now that was a good film.
[FONT=Garamond]Steve Gad[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You may hear me upstairs, stamping my feet and kicking the furniture. That's just me 'warming up!'[/FONT]
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/21/2006 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: GaddyBlade Runner. Now that was a good film.

Damn right.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/21/2006 3:35 am
We had to read "The Sniper" like every year in school from grade 7 to grade 10. We also had to read a story called "Lather, and Nothing Else" by Hernando Tellez. I can't find a link, but I still recommend it. I hated it when we had to read it in school, but looking back on it, it was pretty good.

This one I read last night made me grin. It was "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. I knew exactly what the ending was gonna be from about two paragraphs in, but that's because I have a very morbid mind. Maybe you normal folks will like it.

The Lottery
# 10
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/21/2006 5:12 am
If you like morbid stories...

I can't find it on the web, and I don't have the time to type it up just now, but track down a story called "Deathwatch" by Norman Spinrad. Brilliant - in a tragic and depressing sort of way.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.