A silly lil' string-changing question

earthman buck
earthman buck
03/17/2006 4:36 pm
When I change strings, I take off all the strings at once. My friend tells me that you're supposed to cut them, then take them off one at a time, replacing them as you go. This is supposedly so the neck doesn't warp.

Am I doing it wrong? Is my neck doomed if I keep doing it this way?
# 1
acapella
acapella
03/17/2006 4:48 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckWhen I change strings, I take off all the strings at once. My friend tells me that you're supposed to cut them, then take them off one at a time, replacing them as you go. This is supposedly so the neck doesn't warp.

Am I doing it wrong? Is my neck doomed if I keep doing it this way?

You don't have to cut them. But you should only take off one at a time. Neck tension, man, neck tension!
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 2
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/17/2006 4:50 pm
Not totally true. Iv had my Stratocaster since 1988 and have been replacing the strings just how you do (I take off all the strings at once). Maybe by theory your friend would be right, but it doubt it would make a difference. Espcially when it only takes seconds to take the strings off the guitar and put new ones on.

I have never heard of the neck warping because of such a reason. Actually the guitar neck is made in such a way that these kinds of small things wont affect it. But im not 100% positive about it... ;)
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/17/2006 4:53 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Not totally true. Iv had my Stratocaster since 1988 and have been replacing the strings just how you do (I take off all the strings at once). Maybe by theory your friend would be right, but it doubt it would make a difference. Espcially when it only takes seconds to take the strings off the guitar and put new ones on.

I have never heard of the neck warping because of such a reason. Actually the guitar neck is made in such a way that these kinds of small things wont affect it. But im not 100% positive about it... ;)

See, that's what I thought too. And even if the neck did move, the truss rod could take care of that in like, 4 seconds, could it not?
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/17/2006 5:25 pm
I just take them off one at a time by habit. I don't cut them or anything, though. I never really thought about it. I have read about the neck tension, but I dunno. Like I said, never really thought about it.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 5:33 pm
I always take them all off so I can give the guitar a good cleaning before putting the new ones on.
What's the point of putting new strings over top of the old dust and risking contaminating the new strings by transfering the crap from the old ones.
Plus, I've been doing it for a coupla decades and never had a neck warp on me. Figure it this way... if it takes several days for a neck to straighten out when you've adjusted a truss rod, what makes ya think that taking the strings off for a few minutes is gonna do anything.

I just did a video series on changing strings if ya have High Bandwidth.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9386&s_id=163
# 6
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/17/2006 5:49 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeI always take them all off so I can give the guitar a good cleaning before putting the new ones on.
What's the point of putting new strings over top of the old dust and risking contaminating the new strings by transfering the crap from the old ones.
Plus, I've been doing it for a coupla decades and never had a neck warp on me. Figure it this way... if it takes several days for a neck to straighten out when you've adjusted a truss rod, what makes ya think that taking the strings off for a few minutes is gonna do anything.

I concur fully...
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/17/2006 8:03 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeI always take them all off so I can give the guitar a good cleaning before putting the new ones on.

Yeah, I like givin' my guitar a good cleaning too. Thanks for all the help, guys. I guess I'll just carry on as usual.
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 8:52 pm
yep, I slacken them all and take em all off one at a time then clean with a little lemon oil !

lovely !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 9:49 pm
yeah really... like I said in the video... if you take em off one at a time, all you keep doing is transfering all the crap from the old strings to the new ones.

I've been reading for years about so-called experts who say you have to take the strings off one at a time or 'the neck will warp'.
Yet whenever you ask anybody if they've actually seen it happen or where they heard that rumour they don't have a clue.

It's one of those old wives tales like 'the correct way to wind your guitar cord'.
Whatever you do, don't wind it around your thumb and elbow or you'll break the wires inside.
Anybody who says that I can prove without a doubt that I can wind my guitar cords that way and it's safer than doing it with your fingers.

sorry... hard to explain without a video
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 9:53 pm
Yep, I have been doing it the Schmange way for 20+ years and never broke anything yet.

I did hear (we could maybe send this to Mythbusters) that a famous guitarist once cut all the string on is LP whilst they were tuned to pitch and broke the truss rod.

Serves him right really !
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 10:09 pm
Actually that's a pretty good idea. :)
I'd love to see a scientific experiment to see if the rumours are actually true.

I mean, I can see taking a pair of snippers and blatantly cutting the strings as having a negative effect... maybe... but just winding the strings down, taking em all off and changing em... no way.
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2006 10:18 pm
yer man

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/talk/talk.html

yahoo !

think of the free advertising !
# 13
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/18/2006 7:14 pm
I did read in a magazine article one time about Slash. He cut all the strings off his Jackson at once and the neck warped from the sudden tension change. Said it never stayed in tune again. :(
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2006 9:16 pm
that might have been the story I was referring to only when I heard it, it was an LP that got trashed !
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.