ICant Sweep

Metal Nightmare
Dovanoa
Metal Nightmare
Dovanoa
03/17/2006 6:44 am
Im Not New At Playing The Guitar But I Cant Sweep Can Someone Please Please Give Good Technigues On SWEEPINGIt Will Help A Lot Thanks.
# 1
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
03/17/2006 9:44 am
There's seriously not a lot that we can tell you in the message boards about sweeping that you can't find on lessons either here at guitartricks or maybe at the big free sites like www.wholenote.com. Just do a search on sweeping

Sweeping is just one of those things that just take ALOT of practice and time just doing the same thing over and over.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/17/2006 12:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersSweeping is just one of those things that just take ALOT of practice and time just doing the same thing over and over.

Let me further stress the words "A LOT." Sweeping is a really disciplined technique when done correctly, and by far, for me at least, the most impressive.

As far as how to do it goes, I'll try to explain as best I can without being able to show you.

......^......V....V......^.....^.....^.....V
e|--15---12------------------12---15---------
B|------------13--------13--------------------
G|-----------------12-------------------------
D|--------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------

What I've written out there is a C major arpeggio that spans the 3 top strings (if you're one of the people who calls the thick strings the "top" ones, I'm referring to the thin ones). After you downstroke on the 15, if you want to keep playing the arpeggio, just pull to the twelve (so you don't have to throw yourself off with an upstroke), and continue in the same picking pattern as before. As for fingering, I play it like this: 4th finger (pinky) on the 15, index (1) on the b string 12, middle (2) on the 13, then 1 again on the g string 12.

When I use my index here, I play the first twelve (b string), then lift my index finger off the note as I play the 13. Then my finger is ready to be placed on the G when I play that note. Some people would tell you to just bar the twelfth fret from B to G, but forget that. If you do that, it will be harder to mute the notes after their done. Remember: muting is key. After you play each note, you should either mute with your right hand (sounds a little sloppy) or with the finger you'd just used to play it (sounds much cleaner). You'll want to stop the note as soon as the next note begins, because if you don't, you'll get notes ringing out and it will just sound like a chord (and with distortion it will just sound like bad). There are some Arpeggios, since I touched on barring, where you do bar the string. When you encounter these arpeggios, try muting by rolling the barring finger up and down (vertically) to mute the strings that aren't playing.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/17/2006 8:35 pm
this website helped me with sweeping MAJORLY.

http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/17/2006 9:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonLet me further stress the words "A LOT." Sweeping is a really disciplined technique when done correctly, and by far, for me at least, the most impressive.

As far as how to do it goes, I'll try to explain as best I can without being able to show you.

......^......V....V......^.....^.....^.....V
e|--15---12------------------12---15---------
B|------------13--------13--------------------
G|-----------------12-------------------------
D|--------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------

What I've written out there is a C major arpeggio that spans the 3 top strings (if you're one of the people who calls the thick strings the "top" ones, I'm referring to the thin ones). After you downstroke on the 15, if you want to keep playing the arpeggio, just pull to the twelve (so you don't have to throw yourself off with an upstroke), and continue in the same picking pattern as before. As for fingering, I play it like this: 4th finger (pinky) on the 15, index (1) on the b string 12, middle (2) on the 13, then 1 again on the g string 12.

When I use my index here, I play the first twelve (b string), then lift my index finger off the note as I play the 13. Then my finger is ready to be placed on the G when I play that note. Some people would tell you to just bar the twelfth fret from B to G, but forget that. If you do that, it will be harder to mute the notes after their done. Remember: muting is key. After you play each note, you should either mute with your right hand (sounds a little sloppy) or with the finger you'd just used to play it (sounds much cleaner). You'll want to stop the note as soon as the next note begins, because if you don't, you'll get notes ringing out and it will just sound like a chord (and with distortion it will just sound like bad). There are some Arpeggios, since I touched on barring, where you do bar the string. When you encounter these arpeggios, try muting by rolling the barring finger up and down (vertically) to mute the strings that aren't playing.

Jolly pretty much covered the deal there. Sweeping, in my opinion, is one of the hardest techniques to get down to a science, let alone perfect. It took me a good year before my sweeps stopped sounding like ass, and even still, when I experiment with abstract arpeggios or something of the sort it can still get muddy, the key is, as Jolly said, muting. Start very slow and pay close attention to which hand is doing what. You'll have an easier time finding where it is that unwanted noise is coming from and doing something about it. Always take it slow. You'll never get it right if you start your practice off at the tempo you want.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/18/2006 2:33 pm
i followed thelink u guys posted...2 minutes.. andafter watching the video... i picked up my guitar... and gave up almost instantaneously....not my time to learn that yet i guess...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6
Rsam16
Rsam16
03/18/2006 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91this website helped me with sweeping MAJORLY.

http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html

Woah!!!! Awesome link. It rocks!!!!!!!!
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.