Troubles with Ibanez?

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/16/2006 1:54 am
I've always gotten the impression, at least in my interactions with the L.A./Hollywood music scene (alas... Las Vegas is not my home.... :( ), that Ibanez is not all that it's cracked up to be.

As in, unless it's somebody's signature edition (e.g. Joe Satriani), Ibanez is generally steered clear of by the discriminating guitar player.

Yes? No? Kinda sorta?

Nobody ever sat me down and explained the pros and cons of Ibanez to any meaningful amount of detail.
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/16/2006 6:45 am
I like Ibanez electrics. My teacher has an SZ, and it's one hell of a guitar. I like the look of their S and SA series, and I've heard that their Artcore models are quite good as well. The fact that they're Japanese means that many people write them off as being poor quality, and it's true that their necks aren't as solid as those of Gibson, but they're still decent instruments all-round.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
03/16/2006 6:55 am
its all personal opinion hey...i guess if you like Ibanez, then your ":pros" list will alot longer than anyone who doesnt like Ibanez.

Personally I am not a fan...mostly because the majority of their models have features I dont like (Floyd Rose and 24 frets) however, that said,I do have two Ibanez guitars, and love the one (dont like the other).
I have an MMM1 baritone that is amazing, and an ergodyne...that is not so nice.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with Ibanez as a brand, and I reckon any Ibanez Prestige is every bit as well-made as any other high-end guitar.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/16/2006 10:48 am
I've heard bits and pieces...

Something about the stock/house-brand pickups being crap... about the electronics being crappy (from a semi-pro)... I once overheard some other semi-pro guy quip that an Ibanez is an "appliance guitar" (whatever that means)... odds and ends... crummy parts that make you get less than what you think, odd complaints like that.

I'm trying to add it all up.

With that said, my main bass is an Ibanez, though it's the lower/discount model of the two available Gary Willis signature edition models (both are 5-string fretless)... made of basswood (the better version is of walnut) and I hate the pickup (Ibanez stock, whereas the higher end version has a Bartolini), the fretboard is "ebonite" as opposed to the ebony of the better version.

Well, it was the only 5-string fretless I was going to find virtually anywhere for under a grand. Now that I've more-or-less got a great command of the thing (I bought it blind off the internet, having never tried a fretless, let alone a 5-string fretless) I'm thinking about getting one of those Warmoth "Gecko" kit basses (in 5-string fretless of course), designed to pick up (and run with!) where I feel my current axe has left off. But anyways... that's for a different forum.... :D

Well, in general... I wonder as to how a mid-range Ibanez would stack up in the universe of all the other mid-range models (between $300 and $900, roughly) of all the other various brands out there. I try not to judge a company (overall, I mean) by its el-cheapo discount/starter/junk guitars nor its mucho expensive top-of-the-line select/elite/signature/deluxe/sooper-dooper models.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2006 11:27 am
I used to own an ash blonde Ibanez Artist. Probably one of the first on the market. The neck was covered in some shellack or something so it was so sticky you could hardly play it. It was so heavy it practically snapped your neck and the pickups had no drive at all.
After owning it for about 6 months, the neck warped so bad it looked like a boomerang.
I never touched em again. Now, whenever mentions Ibanez, I think 'piece of crap'.

# 5
G-Thunda
G-Thunda
03/16/2006 1:52 pm
I just purchased my first Ibanez, (SZ320BS). I'm no pro so I can't give opinions and reviews like one. I'll say that the neck is wonderful, finish is perfect and I'm completely happy with the sound and playability. Seems like alot of guitar for the money. I have a friend who IS a pro and a Les Paul guy, he owns Ibanez as well and loves them for the neck. Just my .02.

# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2006 2:15 pm
The one I bought was way back when the company first went into business, so I'm assuming they've improved things since then.
Like, seriously... the neck was bowed so bad the strings were about 1/2" off the fretboard.
# 7
G-Thunda
G-Thunda
03/16/2006 2:58 pm
LOL!! Wow, that would pizz a guy off!
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/16/2006 5:55 pm
I can't say I've ever played an Ibanez and put it down with anything pleasing to say about the experience. Some experiences were just not as bad as others. Never as bad as Schmange's though.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/16/2006 11:48 pm
I've always been leery about ESP. I have the impression that if you spend less than a grand+++ you'll get an absolute piece of crap. Also, they look like something out of Spinal Tap with all the spines and thorns and curly-cues and everything... either that or mutated Gibsons after some 15th century dungeon master got a hold of them. It makes me think of "the best death metal band in Denton." Denton, Texas, that is. (A virtual dollar for anyone who catches the reference.)

However, I hear their custom shop is phenomenal.
# 10
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/17/2006 5:24 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI used to own an ash blonde Ibanez Artist. Probably one of the first on the market. The neck was covered in some shellack or something so it was so sticky you could hardly play it. It was so heavy it practically snapped your neck and the pickups had no drive at all.
After owning it for about 6 months, the neck warped so bad it looked like a boomerang.
I never touched em again. Now, whenever mentions Ibanez, I think 'piece of crap'.

ahh thats sucks dude. What an awesome looking guitar...
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 11
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/17/2006 10:20 am
The bridge on that thing looks suspicious... looks like they took a backplate to a brass doorknocker and pot-welded some stuff onto it, drilled some holes... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... :o
# 12
SPL
SPL
03/17/2006 3:21 pm
I don't think Ibanez is any better or worse than the other brands out there, you pretty much get what you pay for. Quality doesn't come cheap.
# 13
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/17/2006 11:58 pm
Originally Posted by: SPLQuality doesn't come cheap.

Sometimes a name*COUGH*Gibson*COUGH AHEM* don't come cheap, either.

"What's in a name?"
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.