It's Freakin Cold Here!!!

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/01/2006 7:39 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI lived in Ottawa before I moved to Calgary. My father, and more than a few of my friends, are from Down East. Anyone who thinks there's no humidity at temperatures like -30 needs to get out more. :rolleyes:

In Calgary, -30 is cold, but you can do silly things like run out to your car to retrieve something without bothering to put on your coat or gloves. Uncomfortable, but a sweater will get you there and back, even when the wind is howling.

In Ottawa, at -30, the cold seems to take on the characteristics of a hostile life-form. Any weakness in your defences will be pried open, the cold will sink into your bones, and the pain can make grown men weep.

On the coast, the wind off the North Atlantic can cut through a heavy coat like a double-bit axe. And the dampness makes clothes stay cold for a long time after you get inside. -30 in The Maritimes is cause to stay in bed, and pull the covers over your head 'til half-past March! :eek:

It's similar with the summers, too.

In Calgary, I can shave right after I shower because the mirror doesn't fog up. When it hits +30, people born here whine about the heat and humidity, and I laugh at 'em. There's always enough of a breeze to keep you cooled off if you get out of direct sunlight, and when the sun goes down, the temperature drops at least 10 degrees. I brought a 10,000 BTU widow-mount air conditioner with me from Ottawa, because I couldn't comprehend getting through a summer without it. I don't know if it still works, because I haven't plugged it in since I got here. I moved here in May of 2000.

I don't miss Ottawa summers at all. You sweat so much that you feel downright slimy all the time. A shower seems like a great idea for cooling off, until you try it. Unless the water is ice-cold, you will sweat while you're in there, and then the humidity won't allow you to dry off. If do fall for the temptation to shower with cold water, you soon regret it, because the air then feels like a thick, wet blanket. And it doesn't cool off at night. At all.

Maritime summers? Think in terms of chewing the air before you can inhale! Even the rain is warm! And it rains a lot. :p

*jaw drops* ......

The coldest outdoor temperature I've ever experienced is about -10 C. And that was in Japan.

How do you SURVIVE up there in Canada, man?!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/01/2006 8:16 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesus*jaw drops* ......

The coldest outdoor temperature I've ever experienced is about -10 C. And that was in Japan.

How do you SURVIVE up there in Canada, man?!

didn't you know? LATS is an eskimo
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2006 8:22 am
Quinn the Eskimo......that is.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/01/2006 8:28 am
the worst ive ever went through was -3C... geez... yea i looked like an eskimo then... not to mention a fat one...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2006 8:31 am
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
03/01/2006 10:57 am
Originally Posted by: jeffhxthe worst ive ever went through was -3C... geez... yea i looked like an eskimo then... not to mention a fat one...

I have gone camping in a tent when it was -3C... Woke up and the water was frozen.... and yes this was like in the month of MAY.

Not to miseducate people - but it was an UNUSUAL cold snap to have below zero in MAY.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/01/2006 1:47 pm
hmmm, well it will be a nice 70 F here tomorro. :D but then the cold front will move in and we'll plummet back down :(
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
markc2005
markc2005
03/01/2006 1:57 pm
its ment to be going down to -7C tonight and i have a rugby tournements, its goin to be a cold night out
this england, south yorkshire
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/01/2006 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterI thought Nova Scotians were tough...It was -26, -35 with the wind today in Ottawa..and I work outside.

Nova Scotians? Tough? HA!! I've known a lot of Nova Scotians and have yet to meet a single one that is tough when it comes to cold weather. They're always complaining about the cold when it's only -10C! Granted, most are from the Annapolis Valley, where the weather is more temperate. But, come on, you can't be a Canadian and not enjoy -10C weather! That's beach party time! I don't even consider it to be winter until it drops below -20C.

Toronto doesn't get nearly as cold as other places in Canada, but it is one of the few places that gets both -35C and +35C in the same year. Crazy.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
acapella
acapella
03/01/2006 8:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Akira

How desperately I wish I could rep you again.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 10
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/01/2006 8:40 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanToronto doesn't get nearly as cold as other places in Canada, but it is one of the few places that gets both -35C and +35C in the same year. Crazy.

geez...can anything live in that condition? -35C.... i can hardly even imagine what's it like...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/01/2006 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: acapella rapemeHow desperately I wish I could rep you again.

I think you spelled 'rape' wrong.
# 12
acapella
acapella
03/01/2006 8:42 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffhxgeez...can anything live in that condition? -35C.... i can hardly even imagine what's it like...

Try coming to ol' Canada. You'd die before the year was up. If you lived though, you could never be hurt again. Scientific fact.
# 13
acapella
acapella
03/01/2006 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraYou owe me. :cool:

Did you make that yourself? If so I will definitely change that spelling...
# 14
acapella
acapella
03/01/2006 8:46 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraYes?

Alright. Keep an eye open for the guy with the balaclava and best of intentions.
# 15
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/02/2006 12:12 am
I dunno, I like the season changes. I'd be bored without them I think.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 16
Tonja_Renee
Tonja_Renee
03/02/2006 1:15 am
I love the different seasons as well - my favorite would be Fall.... especially here the leaves just pop with so much color in the fall and the days are still warm but the nights are cooler.... Definately my favorite time of year...

and I like snow just about until Christmas and then I have had my fill.. We used to have a snowmobile and man that was fun - I loved the snow back then, but we don't have it anymore so no more need for the snow....
# 17
Tonja_Renee
Tonja_Renee
03/02/2006 2:02 am
A couple of years ago I had to go to California on business.... it was in February. My boss knew I had never been so he wanted me to see everything....

We landed in San Fransisco and drove through the mountains to Tulare (where the conference was) and then drove to San Diego and then I came back to LA. I spent the weekend in LA by myself (that was a freakin treat)...

Anyway the weather was beautiful sunny everyday and warm - I loved it... The only thing I didn't like was when we going through the mountains it was like a blizzard and about three feet of snow on the ground...I was pissed.

I was like "I did not come to California to see effing snow!!"
# 18
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/02/2006 6:04 am
Originally Posted by: Tonja_ReneeA couple of years ago I had to go to California on business.... it was in February. My boss knew I had never been so he wanted me to see everything....

We landed in San Fransisco and drove through the mountains to Tulare (where the conference was) and then drove to San Diego and then I came back to LA. I spent the weekend in LA by myself (that was a freakin treat)...

Anyway the weather was beautiful sunny everyday and warm - I loved it... The only thing I didn't like was when we going through the mountains it was like a blizzard and about three feet of snow on the ground...I was pissed.

I was like "I did not come to California to see effing snow!!"

you landed in san fransisco and drove to san diego? wow.. that's like an 8 or 9 hour drive.. 15 if you hit LA traffic :D
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 19
Tonja_Renee
Tonja_Renee
03/02/2006 11:03 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyou landed in san fransisco and drove to san diego? wow.. that's like an 8 or 9 hour drive.. 15 if you hit LA traffic :D

Well, we didn't do it all in one day... We stayed in San Fransisco one day then drove to Bakersfield and stayed like three day there and then drove to San Diego where we stayed a couple of days and the rest were in LA...

Do its not nearly as bad as it sounds.... Although being from Nova Scotia where there is vertually no traffic to trying to drive in LA - well lets just say it was an experience....

But I couldn't get over the fact that it was sunny and relatively warm...and no bugs either....
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.