starting a 2-tone ska band

quickfingers
quickfingers
02/22/2006 3:41 pm
any cool covers off the top of your head? obviously im making almost all origionals; i have some experience wiht trumpet so its not going to be incredibly difficult at all to write brass lines and ****. but the best part about ska is the awesome cover songs. i want to cover something totally...awesome. any ideas? maybe black sabbath? some iron maiden? i heard a ska band cover Mr Roboto by Styx a few years back, and they did it so well that i almost **** my pants. the guitarist even mimicked the synth line with harmonics. amazing. anywho, any suggestions whatsoever?
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/24/2006 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersany cool covers off the top of your head? obviously im making almost all origionals; i have some experience wiht trumpet so its not going to be incredibly difficult at all to write brass lines and ****. but the best part about ska is the awesome cover songs. i want to cover something totally...awesome. any ideas? maybe black sabbath? some iron maiden?

YAY FOR SKA!

okayy. what your talking about is doing some metal songs... and turning them ska?

thats weird. dont you know ska kids and metal heads dont get along?

haha. but seriously... theyre basically opposite genres... why not just do a cover of a ska song? thats gunna be alot easier than totally figuring out how to work horns into some maiden riff. when just starting a ska band, its gunna be important to know what your doing first before experimenting.

less than jake, reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, the aquabats. those four have some easy songs, some harder.

some easy covers i'd try:

that impression that i get- bosstones.
jonny quest, 9th and pine, shes gunna break soon- less than jake.
pizza day, pool party, captain hampton- Aquabats.
same song twice, ban the tube top, i want your girlfriend- Reel big fish.

oh, and low rider by war. just cuz.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2006 2:59 am
I once heard a fantastic version of Hotel California by a band called Ska Daddyz or similar ! Outstanding !

Nearly as good as Dub side of the Moon !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/24/2006 5:10 pm
ooh snap! no i heard the besssst hotel california cover by a ska band, it was voodoo glow skulls. that might be what youre thinking of. ripping solo? yea, it was probably the skulls.

i know the metal-ska thing seems weird, but a few bands have pulled it off beautifully, using augmented runs on the brass and stuff. actaully, voodoo glow skulls is a real good example of "metal" ska. some hard ****.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4
arska007
arska007
02/25/2006 2:54 pm
you should definetly do cover's of metal song's!!
i have once played a reggae version of black sabbath's sweet leaf, it's really fun!! so you should do metal cover's, record it and post in here
"I am the lizard king, i can do anything!"-The Doors
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/25/2006 4:30 pm
meh, so i guess im the only one who thinks ska should be ska, metal should be metal. to each his own. if noone ever experimented, imagine how boring music would be. so more power to you, man. :cool:

# 6
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/28/2006 2:55 am
opposities in fact do attract sometimes with delightful results. listen to Ben Folds Five's "Bitches aint ****" and try to prove that theory wrong. best hiphop song turned indie pop ever.
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 7
64johnny
64johnny
03/01/2006 1:02 am
:cool: please don't think i'm a dunderhead or nothing, but what is ''ska'' anyways? i've heard this many times but never quite grasped the meaning. peace friends! john :cool:
:cool: ^dave mustaine for president^ :cool:
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/01/2006 1:19 am
ska is pretty much punk with a trumpet...
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2006 1:25 am
...or if you like a modern take on '20's swing music.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2006 1:49 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsska is pretty much punk with a trumpet...

Ah...

No.

Some people do that and try to call it Ska, but it's not.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/01/2006 2:41 pm
yeah, that would be "ska punk". fancy that. lol.

ill try to upload a ska song somewhere, am i allowed to post it here without the music people freaking?

# 12
quickfingers
quickfingers
03/01/2006 4:05 pm
uuug...ok, let me lay it down to you as best i can. given, im not a skinhead, so i cant give you like, the real roots of ska and ****. but i know a good deal of useless information that no one else cares about because i used to be a scene kid...sortof. well anywho, the reason ska and punk go so hand-in-hand is becasue ska, like punk, is a subculture. ska impliments an offbeat kindof rhythym, similar to reggae, but usually at faster speeds. (for a dummy version, play bob marley songs and double time the upstrokes) as in a jazz band or any kindof swing, the brass usually play accents or melody lines. for the most part, in a real ska band, the guitar is not a focal point. given, not that many ska bands have stuck to that preferance. some of the best local guitarists ive ever seen have been at ska shows, and theres many opportunities to bust the slick stuff in ska song. it can be poppy and light, and often times humorous (cought*aquabats*cough) but can also be very heavy and serious. some hate it because the brass and woodwinds can give it a corny or kid-like feel, but its a serious genre of music thats really fun to get into. then comes skanking....oh my. another day.
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 13
arska007
arska007
03/01/2006 6:53 pm
reggae developed from ska, but now it is considered mostly as a sub style from reggae. could anyone post links to good ska tab's?
"I am the lizard king, i can do anything!"-The Doors
# 14
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/01/2006 8:07 pm
Originally Posted by: arska007reggae developed from ska, but now it is considered mostly as a sub style from reggae. could anyone post links to good ska tab's?

no no no nooo.

ska came way after reggae. quickfingers did a pretty good job describing it. its a mix of alot of different genres, ultimitly making IMHO, the happiest, easiest to dance to stuff in the world. (skanking, as before mentioned, is the ****.)

Reel Big Fish is one of the ska giants that im proud of for sticking mostly to ska rather than going punk like the other ska giants (less than jake, and the aquabats new album)

yeah. thatssss ska.

# 15
quickfingers
quickfingers
03/01/2006 9:40 pm
yea, reggae is ethiopian religious music that got roots in many other places, like jamaica. if you listen to real reggae stuff, its not guitar oriented at all, and its more like prayer verses with alot of percussion. it got westernized and took the form of a more rock quartet style, i suppose.
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.