Multi-effect units

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/25/2001 9:07 pm
Alright, I know that there's been a lot said about this in the past, but I would like an updated take from everyone here on this subject.

I'm thinking of buying a multi-effect unit, and so far, the names I've heard tossed around are Pod Line6, Johnson J Station and Boss GT5.

Are there any others that I'm missing? I've had an opportunity to mess around a bit with the Line6, but I found the layout really cheesy (dials and hard to read labels).

I actually heard the Johnson J Station, and I was impressed.

Finally, I really like BOSS pedals, so I would think that the BOSS multi-effect unit would also be good.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
06/25/2001 10:05 pm
One more to ad to the list : Behringer V-amp.

I've heared from a couple of people that the GT-3 is better then the GT-5. Just though I'd mention it.

Greetz, TK
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/25/2001 10:54 pm
I myself still prefere to wrangle a small herd of carefully chosen stomp boxes.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
06/26/2001 12:42 am
I've actually been hearing a lot of good things about Line 6 lately. As far as the GT-3 goes, I wouldn't use it for any live performance.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4
stratman42
stratman42
06/26/2001 7:48 pm
I've heard that digitech are really good. my friends getting one soon, the rp300, so ill keep you posted. They have a lot of good rviews
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 5
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
06/27/2001 7:55 am
I now have a Korg 1000 G, the sounds are good but when using it live its a little difficult to switch the banks and make a bypass, sometimes i make the wrong switch.
Mostly i make a setup with my 3 channel amp for the basic sounds. If i'm tired of switching i use the basic sounds and put some stompboxes in between.
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/27/2001 1:33 pm
Okay, since there weren't so many replies on this subject, I went to my trusty guitar shop and rented a BOSS GT-3 for two days, and if I want to buy it, they'll reduce the price by the amount of rent I paid. Also, it's on sale this month.

So I tried it out last night, and I'm pretty impressed. There's 85 banks of effects with 4 patches in each bank (so that's 340 possible effects) and 140 aren't preset, so you can modify them. There are four pedals to select patches, a Control pedal, a built-in expression pedal, and tons of effects. You can program the expression pedal to be just an on/off switch, a wah, a volume pedal, or other stuff I haven't figured out yet.

I like the fact that it's very programmable. I like having gear that is more complicated than I can understand right now, that way I know that when I learn how to use it, I won't feel restricted.

The original sales guy I talked to about the Line6 POD was really puching it, but I didn't like the knobs interface, and I like to be able to really customize each effect, like setting the delay time to 220 ms and the feedback to 7, not just setting "effect tweak" to 5.

So, I may or may not keep this, depending to some extent on what kind of feedback you guys give me.

Thanks for your advice.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Jon68
Jon68
06/29/2001 12:19 pm
Something that hasn't been mentioned - the POD, J-Station and V Amp are amp simulators that also provide basic effects (generally Compressor, Flanger, Chorus, Phaser, Rotart, Echo, Delay and Reverb). The Boss GT-3 and GT-5 are effects processors that include amp simulation and have many more effects. The POD and J-Station are designed as direct-recording tools and, as such are more difficult to use in live situations unless you buy the (expensive) foot-controllers or use a midi controller. The V Amp includes a two-button foot switch that allows you to switch between 5 presets in a bank. The Yamaha DG-Stomp provides 4 foot-switches that allow you to set tap-tempo/tuner and toggle between the 90 user/90 preset patches (you can also set the patch toggle switches to control effects on/off (modulation, delay, reverb). If you have a kickin' amp setup, you might not need (or want) the amp simulators.

I ended up buying the DG-Stomp for the sounds and the ability to use it out of the box as either a direct-recording tool or in live situations. I use the Stomp with a Rolls Midi foot controller to select patches and set the built-in foot-switches to control effect on/off.

Another consideration is noise - most of the amp simulators include a noise gate since many digital systems generate a lot of noise. The DG-Stomp doesn't have one, doesn't need one.

Our lead guitarist started with a GT-3 and had a chance to pick up a GT-5 at a great price so he upgraded. He was able to get some really good sounds from both, although he does have occasional noise problems. He works at a music store and can get most of the effects pedals at much reduced cost, so I always listen when he's talking about gear. The amp simulations on both the GTs and the Stomp are great! Both of us regularly use the pedals without an amp, just running through the PA. He sold his Mesa-Boogie and always runs through the PA. I sometimes run through my '65 Super Reverb, but I never move it around anymore. It always stays at our main gig.

I still wish for some of the effects that the GT-3 has - the acousic simulator, single/humbucking emulation and pitch shift, so I may invest in a GT in the future.
# 8
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
06/30/2001 2:59 pm
i know that the GT5 kicks ass, and the GT3 almost as good as the 5, but there are few things i dont like in it: for example it kills your amp natural tone, and if you play with cheap guitar expect a lot of treble feedbacks from it..
but otherwise it really kicks ass as far as i know
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 9
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/05/2001 4:38 pm
I've heard from others that the GT-3 is better than the GT-5...but I've tried both and like the GT-5. I also like Digitech rack mount stuff like the 2120. I just went to see Eric Johnson and all he had was a POD and a chorus pedal. I was very impressed by that. Just play with all of them and find out what is best for you. For live stuff..I like analog pedals...nothing beats the real thing.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 10
jimi hendrix2
jimi hendrix2
07/06/2001 7:06 pm
I own a Digitech RP300 and the thing sounds DAMN good! The only draw backs with multi-effects is that some of them dont let u combine all or any of them at once. But for the money you pay and the stuff you get... Go ahead and get the multi-effects unit, definately!!!
until we meet again...
JiMi HeNdRiX 2
# 11
minofifa
minofifa
07/07/2001 1:20 am
Don't get stuff like the POD or the J-station mixed up with stuff like a BOSS or DOD.

In my bad experienced with effects processors you need to assess what your getting the pedal for. I mean really how often are you going to use a Phaser? My advice would be to not get anything that your not gonna use. Stay away from ZOOm. they suck.

ALl and all I think I would rather have a set of chosen stonp boxes rather than a big unit that restricts you.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.