i need a band

83261_sid
83261_sid
02/17/2006 3:01 am
i love to play the guitar. there is nothing i would rather do. i would love to be in a band but i dont realy know any other musicians, and i dont know of any band that needs a guitarist at my school or in my neighborhood. how do i get started in a band. thanks. :cool:
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/17/2006 4:10 am
Well, my band got started in an odd way. It was like grade 7, and me and my friends weren't really into music at all.

Any one of us, casually: "Let's start a band!"
Me: "I play guitar!"
Luke: "I bet I could play drums!"
Michael: "I guess I could get a bass....."

We saved up all our money for like 2 years and bought instruments. Now we have a band. Not a very good one, but a band nonetheless. The end.
# 2
sailorjim
sailorjim
02/17/2006 6:33 am
Music stores are a good place to post you are looking to be in a band. In my younger days I would always have an extra guitar so I would teach my friends how to play ( it's kind of like create your own) If you have a school news paper post you are looking to play with people.. I think you will find many just like you banging away on the guitar just looking someone to play with.. If you can, get in a band where people are better than you. You will learn more. In my later years, when I took up the bass guitar (40 years old) I started playing with these guys that were really good. The lead guitarist has his masters degree in guitar from Berkley. Man did I learn alot from him. The keyboard player also is fantastic. He had been playing for about 30 years so what I am getting at is it made me better...
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/17/2006 9:54 am
but i feel that if u're in a band with better people, they might not wanna jam with you...then there's always this fear in me...it sucks but well...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/17/2006 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buck

We saved up all our money for like 2 years and bought instruments. Now we have a band. Not a very good one, but a band nonetheless. The end.

Hehe :D . Wonder what acapella has to say about this. ;)
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/17/2006 7:38 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyHehe :D . Wonder what acapella has to say about this. ;)

Probably the very same. He bought a guitar not too long ago, now he never plays his bass. We're headed nowhere.
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/17/2006 10:30 pm
It helps to get your name out there. As mentioned earlier by Sailorjim, check the music stores or post an ad offering your services in a music store. Ask around, see if there's someone that has a direction to point you in. Whatever the method is, so long as you get your name out in the world and let people know that you play guitar and want to play guitar with others, you're bound to find something. The music business is a great portion of who you know as well as what you know, so don't let it be too much of a mystery that you play. Also try and keep in touch with others that are in a band. Chances are if they're in a band then they know other bands. And other bands is a good gateway to more opportunities. In otherwords, communication is vital.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
02/17/2006 11:29 pm
If you really want a band, you just gotta make an effort to find people. I don't have a singer (you cant be good at guitar and vocals, i'm positive:) but i'm sure theres plenty of people wanting to play in a band. I met some kids from my friends old school, and wouldnt you know, almost every one of them plays an instrument and doesnt have a band. You just gotta be on the lookout, and you will find people, its just a matter of time. And what was recently said about playing with people better than you. That is a very good point. I have guided my friend in some guitar playing, and his improvement compared to others is tremendous. Having someone who knows what there doing can be very key.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/18/2006 3:43 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaIf you really want a band, you just gotta make an effort to find people. I don't have a singer (you cant be good at guitar and vocals, i'm positive:) but i'm sure theres plenty of people wanting to play in a band. I met some kids from my friends old school, and wouldnt you know, almost every one of them plays an instrument and doesnt have a band. You just gotta be on the lookout, and you will find people, its just a matter of time. And what was recently said about playing with people better than you. That is a very good point. I have guided my friend in some guitar playing, and his improvement compared to others is tremendous. Having someone who knows what there doing can be very key.

True. There's so much chance. My drummer and I met because he failed grade 10 science and we ended up in the same class.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 9
pennyanmurph
pennyanmurph
02/18/2006 9:11 pm
(you cant be good at guitar and vocals, i'm positive)

But Mark Knopfler could
# 10
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
02/19/2006 2:52 am
Not to stray off topic, but i must say. Singing and playing guitar....at the same time.. Takes quite a bit of skill. Skill that I cannot say I have. Especially when singing to a whole other rhythm than the guitar. It's just a really good way to get myself angry, and wanna hurt someone.

SoundClick Page

# 11
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/19/2006 3:20 am
Originally Posted by: pennyanmurph(you cant be good at guitar and vocals, i'm positive)

But Mark Knopfler could

And Paul Simon, and Ani diFranco, and George Benson, and Dave Mustaine, and...
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/19/2006 4:26 am
You know who could do it good? Kurt Cobain. Yeah, he wasn't great at guitar, but you try playing "Come As You Are" and singing it at the same time. Very tough.
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/19/2006 10:28 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckYou know who could do it good? Kurt Cobain. Yeah, he wasn't great at guitar, but you try playing "Come As You Are" and singing it at the same time. Very tough.

nah, its really not. its the same thing over and over. i played and sung it at a gig once off the top of my head cuz some punk wanted to hear it :rolleyes:
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 14
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
02/20/2006 12:19 am
jimi hendrix had some vocals that were absolutely nothing like the guitar parts. I dont know how he was able to sing some of the things he did, while playing tough riffs simultaneously.

SoundClick Page

# 15
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/20/2006 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusAnd Paul Simon, and Ani diFranco, and George Benson, and Dave Mustaine, and...

...PRINCE!!!!

METOOB
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2006 3:21 am
Originally Posted by: Weslabajimi hendrix had some vocals that were absolutely nothing like the guitar parts. I dont know how he was able to sing some of the things he did, while playing tough riffs simultaneously.

Think about Geddy Lee. He's playing bass runs all the way through songs while singing at the same time.
# 17
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/20/2006 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91nah, its really not. its the same thing over and over. i played and sung it at a gig once off the top of my head cuz some punk wanted to hear it :rolleyes:

Then you, sir, are far more talented than I.
# 18
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/22/2006 3:38 pm
i guess your stuck with musicans wanted ads.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.