View post (This Site could be better)

View thread

mattgatten
mattgatten
02/18/2006 3:08 pm
I thought I would chime in as well. I've owned a hosting business for the better part of five years. I have over 100 customers and I have my own photography site that sees over 1 million hits a month. My site serves up thousands of low res images a month that users have posted to be critiqued by other members. This can be a very costly affair.

Currently, just my hosting bills each month are over 100 dollars (out of my own pocked minus a few small donations we receive). Not to mention all the time me and my two moderators contribute each week to making things work.

Mike, if you think someone charging 5 bucks a month to serve up this many mp3's and videos is money hungry, you have a thing or two to learn about managing a website. For a site of this caliber, 5 bucks is cheap for what you get in return. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. It's your option. For instance, you can go and download copyrighted stuff in hundreds of other places. Go for it.

Personally, I jumped at the chance to give these guys my 5 bucks when I saw the resources here consolidated in one spot which would allow me to advance my learning that much faster.

Logging on and attacking the wonderful folks who contribute to this site, asking them if they are money hungry, clearly explains your lack of knowledge in this field. Furthermore, it's folks like you, who keep admin/owners from every being able to fully realize their vision of a successful site that actually adds value to the user's 'Internet Experience' because you feel a quality site should be free. They're not Google for 'crap's sake'!

I also just noticed that it's your first post. Must be some punk lurker who is jealous that mommy and daddy bought him a cheap 'axe' when he expected them to just hand him the Gibson. hahahaha

I'm done.

K-Thx-bye!
Matt Gatten
Rookie Guitarist