Creating Music, Scales, ||Need Advise/Help||

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/21/2001 5:39 am
I have a quistion, im an intermediate player and im wondering a few things

1. When I create a riff, I need to some how build around it to create the song, now, first I find out what key its in, and to find that I...
a) The key thats played the most in the song?
b) the key thats first strung or played?
c) the ending note?

2. Now that I figured what key its in I do what? I know the scales, mixo, phy, lydian, ya know, so what I do is I play a scale that is in the same key as the riff and just mess around untill I find somthing I like, is this correct so far?
3. (((And lastly I want to know basicly how the scales link up)))

Its 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1. right? and I just find like 1, then find a 2, then 3, ect. and play them and thats how there linked up? I just want to learn a run or for another example could I go like,

1 2 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 4 3 4 5 4 5 4 5 6 5 6 7 6 7 (for example)

this is just an example for like doing a run on your guitar

I dont know if im making any sense but im saying like there are 7 notes in a scale and just going back one and going up, bah let me know if im making sense or am i just drunk and high.

My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/21/2001 6:40 am

Well, first of all, if you're an intermediate player, why were you talkin all that smack in the other post?

Ok anyway, try to lay off the booze and crack and then retype your question, because it isn't real clear what you mean here.
# 2
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/21/2001 7:42 am
obviously u dont understand what a scale is and how to use it then and my last post was a joke
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
06/21/2001 6:24 pm
Okay. In the C Maj. scale the order of notes is as follows: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, and back to C. To do this with any key simply use the formula W W H W W W H. W - whole step, H - half step. You should learn the circle of fifths'. It'll make it a whole lot easier on you. Did that clear it up for you? Or did I leave something out?
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/21/2001 9:06 pm
Originally posted by Mr. Vai
and my last post was a joke

Maybe you should work on your sense of humor, because it wasn't very funny . . .

As per the scales - yes, I do know them quite well, and music theory, so if you want to cut the crap, I'll be happy to help. Otherwise, just try to do what BadHorsie suggests.
# 5
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
06/21/2001 11:34 pm
dude i just wanna know

. how to find what key a riff/solo/song is in

- how scales are linked up and how to use them (Said in very simple terms)
# 6
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/22/2001 7:15 am

Ok, basically you just have to experiment and find the root notes for the song. Like you said, the key is usually the first and last chords/notes in the song/solo, but it doesn't have to be.

However, if you can figure out the chords of the progression then you can figure out which key it's in, because certain notes go with certain keys. This is where the circle of fifths comes in. For example, if you know that the key of F has one flat, B flat, then you'll know that the progression - Dm, C, Bb, Am - is in the key of F. The Bb is the only flat note present in all those chords, so it has to be key of F.

On to the scales - you said that you know all the scales. I'm assuming that means that you know the patterns (i.e. the pattern of whole and half steps that BadHorsie mentioned). The relation between all the scales (mixo, minor, lydian, all that) is that each mode is built upon and resolves to a note in the major scale.

You know chord inversions? A regular D chord is D,F#,A - 1,3,5. A D chord 1st inversion is F#,A,D - 3,5,1. All that? Well, the modes are basically the same thing, inversions of the major scale. Here goes -

1 D Major

-whole step

2 E Dorian

-whole step

3 F# Phrygian

-half step

4 G Lydian

-whole step

5 A Mixolydian

-whole step

6 B Minor

-whole step

7 Db Locrian

-half step

8 D Major again

That's basically it. For instance, when you play Em Dorian, you're really playing through the D Major scale from E note to E note.

Hopes that helps.
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/25/2001 11:54 pm

So did that help, or was I just blowing hot air?
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.