Was this a good deal?

SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
02/13/2006 4:35 pm
I recently purchased 2 Mesa Boogie amps, there's a story behind why I got two. But I got a Mark III black stripe and a Mark III Blue Stripe simul-class for about $1500. So did I get ripped off?
# 1
acapella
acapella
02/13/2006 5:07 pm
I'm not telling until YOU tell that story.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 2
SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
02/13/2006 8:54 pm
Ok well I really wanted a Mark III head. So there was an auction on Ebay. I put a bid on it and it was around $700. Well then there came up another auction for a Mark III with the BuyItNow option. So I bought that one figuring that I'd get outbid on the other one since every other Mark III I'd been putting bids on went over $900. So then the auction ended and I won it. I could have cancelled my bid, but I felt it wouldn't be justified. So now I've got two Mark III heads. I thought they were both blue stripes, but the ones actually a black stripe. I wish it were a green stripe, but oh well.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/13/2006 9:02 pm
Originally Posted by: SteveAKCKOk well I really wanted a Mark III head. So there was an auction on Ebay. I put a bid on it and it was around $700. Well then there came up another auction for a Mark III with the BuyItNow option. So I bought that one figuring that I'd get outbid on the other one since every other Mark III I'd been putting bids on went over $900. So then the auction ended and I won it. I could have cancelled my bid, but I felt it wouldn't be justified. So now I've got two Mark III heads. I thought they were both blue stripes, but the ones actually a black stripe. I wish it were a green stripe, but oh well.

Yeah.....I like stripes. :)
# 4
acapella
acapella
02/13/2006 9:03 pm
Well, if the bids are usually over $900, that would be two amps at $1800, and you spent $1500, so I'd say it's a good deal. I'm not that familiar with what these amps would or should cost, but the math checks out.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/13/2006 9:16 pm
you could, of course, turn around and sell one of them back for $900+ then, couldn't you? then you'd have made a profit too!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/14/2006 5:09 am
Apropos o' nuthin'...

What's up with the stripe colours? :confused:

Forgive this ol' Ampeg gear-hound not knowin' from Mesa's.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
02/14/2006 5:54 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsApropos o' nuthin'...

What's up with the stripe colours? :confused:

Forgive this ol' Ampeg gear-hound not knowin' from Mesa's.

Here's a good site that will be able to explain this better than I.
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html
It's a site all about Mesa amps. The guy who built the site must be rich or something. Basically the different stripes mean different alterations to the basic design. Mesa seems to always be tinkering with their amps to make them better which is cool. But as someone on this message board or another said, it makes you feel as if you've bought an inferior product. While the Mesa engineers were creating these amps, they had to tell the difference between the variations. So they marked the back of the amp just above the power cord with a colored marker. First was no stripe or black stripe. Then came purple, red, blue and finally green. Up until blue, the amps have a drop in sound when switching between certain channels. Red is said to sound closest to the famous Mark IIC+ however someone has also said that the blue stripe is the closest. I haven't heard each variation for myself so I can't say. But basically they changed electronics in each one to make it sound better. They used different power units, different componants within the preamp section. Some were made to be louder, and some were made to match the Mark IIC+ lead sound. Probably the reason why they were changed so much is because Mesa was going after the "Marshall" crunch. I don't think they ever really got it right on, but they came close.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.