bass bass bass bass, bass bass bass bass, bass-a-lo-dean!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/11/2006 7:00 am
hell yeah! nickalodeon kicks booty! anyways, what's the difference between the two main types of pickups on a bass? there's that one that looks like two little offset pickups, and the one that goes straight across.. which is good for what type of sound? and would it be good to get a bass that has one of each of those kinds of pickups? also, is a 5-string recommended for a first bass? or is the 5th string like only used in certain types of music (much like a 7-string guitar, which is mainly used for de-tuned metal)

I've just always wondered these things, and I want to get a bass eventually, so I thought I'd ask
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/11/2006 5:15 pm
well, i dont know much on the subject.

but just like guitar, bass has different types of pups. theyve got singlecoils and humbuckers too. so its another matter of personal taste. i'd say try out a ton of basses at the local guitar shop and figure out which type you like the sound of the most. my bassist has a bass with J and P stype pups. thats like theres the two offset rectangulars for the neck pup(s) and a long skinny one for the bridge.

it sounds pretty sweet.

and i wouldnt get a 5 string for a first bass. its just more complicated. i know a bassist with one, and he would rather play his four string just cuz he never uses his very last string on the 5. its just for a dropped tuning most the time.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.